Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS card is not working with GEOMeasure Manual HLL V2.11.1 (Windows XP)

I ordered a GPIB-USB-HS for my GEOMeasure Manual HLL V2.11.1 (Windows XP), but the USB card is not compatible with my system, please let me know the correct PCI card that could work with my system or other way to make my system works.

Model: GPIB-USB-HS

Part No: 187965B-01

Serial:  127CA1D

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,487 Views)

The vendor of your software is going to be the best source of information on what is and what is not supported. There is normally no difference between using a USB and PCI device. You will need to provide more information than just 'is not compatible'.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,486 Views)

We have a CMM machine B-706 that had some problems with the original GPIB card, RC Metrology recommended the replacement of the card and they recommended the use of a GPIB-USB card, the program for the CMM (GEOMeasure Manual HLL V2.11.1) is old and do not support the use of a USB card (confirmed with Mitutoyo), I will need to replace the actual GPIB-USB interface card with a GPIB-PCI card, but I don’t know the correct card that I need to order, I been trying to contact RC metrology for the last 6 weeks to replace the card, but they are not answering my e-mail or phone call so I don’t know which is the correct PCI card that I need to order.

Please let me know if you need additional information about the software that we are using.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,480 Views)

Since the USB and PCI versions use the same exact driver, I don't understand why one would work and not the other. It could be possible you are having a compatibility issue with the current NI-488.2 driver and the GPIB-PCI card would fail as well. What is the original GPIB card? What is the version of the driver that you were using?

Nor do I see how you can get any kind of absolute answer from NI since they did not write the software for the instrument. What does Mitutoyo have to do with anything?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,478 Views)

Hello again.

Well, basically, what is happening here in our system is that, our GeoMeasure software by itself, is working. The USB interface to the Mitutoyo machine is also working. What is not working, and Mitutoyo already said so, is that GeoMeasure will not read/expect data input originated on a USB interface. The software version we have lacks the configuration required for USB, it only understand IRQ data, usually interrupt 5 or 7 from a PCI device.

Could you recommend me a PCI internal card I can install in my computer that will allow my GeoMeasure software to "work" again? The main issue is monetary, it is cheaper to change the data acquisition interface than to replace the software to a newer version that understands USB data input.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,474 Views)

You can try the PCI-GPIB. The software must be very old or very poorly written. As I said, with the current NI-488.2 driver, whether you have a PCI or USB controller is transparent. At the application level, there is simply nothing specific to either. If the code is working at such a low level that it does matter, then you still might have problems using a modern PCI card.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,472 Views)

Thanks Dennis,

Do you know if I could exchange the actual GPIB-USB-HS card that I have for the PCI-GPIB card?

Model: GPIB-USB-HS

Part No. 187965B-01

Serial No: 127CA1D

Thanks and best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,464 Views)
You need to ask your NI Sales Engineer.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,462 Views)