Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-B problem using application builder and labview runtime...

I am attempting to build a labview executable and run this on a laboratory computer which does not have the labview development environment installed.

I am using a GPIB-USB-B controller. I have installed the GPIB-USB-B driver on the laboratory computer along with the labview runtime environment. I have used the national instruments measurement and automation software and have verified that I can see the GPIB controller. I can also see the piece of test equipment I am attempting to control. When I run the application on the development system and use NI Spy, I am able to see the GPIB activity. However, when I attempt to run the program on the computer in the laboratory, NI Spy indicates that there is no GPIB activity.

It seems to me that application builder/labview executable is not aware of the GPIB-USB-B controller. Any suggestions on how to eliminate this problem?

The computer in the laboratory has win2K as it operating system.

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,203 Views)

@Borel Hendrake wrote:
I am attempting to build a labview executable and run this on a laboratory computer which does not have the labview development environment installed.

I am using a GPIB-USB-B controller. I have installed the GPIB-USB-B driver on the laboratory computer along with the labview runtime environment. I have used the national instruments measurement and automation software and have verified that I can see the GPIB controller. I can also see the piece of test equipment I am attempting to control. When I run the application on the development system and use NI Spy, I am able to see the GPIB activity. However, when I attempt to run the program on the computer in the laboratory, NI Spy indicates that there is no GPIB activity.

It seems to me that application builder/labview executable is not aware of the GPIB-USB-B controller. Any suggestions on how to eliminate this problem?

The computer in the laboratory has win2K as it operating system.

Thanks in advance

Borel,

Hm...So you can communicate with the test equipment within Measurement and Automation Explorer but not in your LabVIEW executable, correct? Can you run your executable on your development machine? Are there any files that are needed that failed to be included in the build?

Craig H.
NI Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,184 Views)
All right, I believe that I have determined what went horribly wrong.

The drivers for the GPIB-USB-B controller were installed on the target computer. The labview runtime library was installed.

I have read several statements on this and other labview forums saying that if the measurement and automation software is running then the drivers have been successfully installed. I believe that this statement is misleading. Having the measurement and automation software installed means that you have gone through the installation process, but it does not guarentee that the drivers have been successfully installed.

In reading the forums I am lead to believe that the NiViSv32.dll and the NiVi488.dll files should be in the /system32 folder under the windows directory. The NiVi488.dll file was not there. Seeing this, I then changed the process for installing the driver. Instead of doing a complete reinstall of the driver, I chose to modify the driver installation. During this process, the software indicated that the GPIB-USB-B driver had not been installed. Choosing to add this driver resulted in the driver being loaded. However, for whatever reason, the labview runtime engine came up with some error. After reinstalling the labview runtime engine things started to work.

In short, it appears to me that the default install of the GPIB-USB-B drivers may be an iffy thing. Instead of doing a complete reinstall of the driver, choose to modify or add the driver instead. This appears to work.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,178 Views)