Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB SR780 Possible Timing Issue?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am trying to control a SR780 analyser, I have written some LV code that is nearly doing everything it's supposed to, span, windowing, coupling etc. However, I can't seem to turn on the averaging. The instrument just says "NoAvg" and then the code is in an endless loop (while loop, waiting for the number of averages to hit a specific value, which it never does). However, the rest of the code is known to be correct as it was all working until I noticed that another parameter wasn't being set which has now been fixed but thrown out the averaging.

I have attached my LV code (which is a bit messy now from all of the debugging, bunch of wait timers etc). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,585 Views)

Have you tried the LabVIEW driver?

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=0473992E99DF2D6FE0440003BA7CCD...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,574 Views)

Yes, this is the driver that I am using.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,548 Views)

It appears that you could send the SCPI commands for averaging to the instrument. You will need to send these commands with their appropriate keys - (FAVG, FAVN, FAVM, or FAVT).

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,541 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, these are the commands that I am using (contained in one the driver VI's)

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,532 Views)

Apologies, the above reply is from me just under a different account which I forgot that I had.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,530 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author planb33

Update: I have fixed the above problem.

The issue was traced back to a mistake in the (NI Certified) driver. One of the VI's which allows you to enable/disable the two displays has a mistake, where enable=disable and vice versa. So by setting it to enable, it was actually disabling the displays... argh! The fix was to simple set it to disable.

Hopefully this information may help someone in the future.

Message 7 of 8
(3,502 Views)

I was looking through the README for the driver, and saw the following: 

"To report issues or provide feedback about this instrument driver, please send an email to instrument.drivers@ni.com." 

Unfortunately I don't have the device to test it out, but I'd send along an email about what you're seeing, the version of the driver you're using, the specific device you're using, and the VI in question. 

R Dahlman

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,444 Views)