From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-RS232 use as GPIB-232CV-A

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an ATE system that currently uses a GPIB-232CV-A interface and I understand this device is no longer available as a new item.  Recommended replacement is the GPIB-RS232, so I am wondering if this is a "drop in" replacement for the CV-A version?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,818 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bzim59

Hello bzim59,

The hardware shouldn't have changed (it is not important to know) because, in general terms, is a converter and the buses don't change as they are standards. The only thing that might have changed is the software, you might need to upgrade it for compatibility and maybe some of the functions changed. Although, this is not common in a basic driver like this one. 

This hardware uses the NI-488.2 driver in case you want to check for newer versions and if they are compatible with your LabVIEW version and the hardware you want to purchase.

Regards,

PedroR

Message 2 of 3
(2,762 Views)

Good advice.  

If you find out that your system is using obsolete equipment it is very likely to have other obsolescence  For instance- the 488.2 driver that originally shipped with that device had support for 16 bit OS's (DOS, Win 3.1/9x/NT/Me).  newer devices may not be compatible with those OS's

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,759 Views)