Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB Plug and PLAY PCMCIA on XP

We are trying to get a PCMCIA-GPIB interface to work in our XP lap tops. We
have tried 2 lap tops with the same effect, everything seems to install OK
and device manager reports the interface as OK , but when we use NI-488.2
troubleshooting wizard the software presence is verified but the GPIB
hardware presence does not verify.

NI Hardware : GPIB/IEEE 488 device PCMCIA-GPIB
Driver Version : 2.3.0.3500
Operating System: Windows XP

This is our first experience of using GPIB interface so it may be something obvious we are missing??
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,762 Views)
Hi,

Have you taken a look at the following GPIB Troubleshooter Wizard documentation, it might help in your installation.
http://www.ni.com/support/gpib/max/troubwiz.htm

Also, can you verify whether the PCMCIA card can be seen by windows, under the device manager?

If you can let me know the results of the troubleshooting steps above and whether the card can be seen, I'll take a look at this further for you.

Thanks

Hannah
Applications Engineer
NIUK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,735 Views)
Hello hannahW,
the device manager in XP reports that all is well with the card, the problem is the NI troubleshooting wizard. Th wizard passes the software installed checks OK but fails when it checks for the presence of the GPIB interface. I have included some screen shots to show the problem we are having. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,731 Views)
Hi,

What happens if you follow the instructions from the troubleshooter and click on the 'Interface not listed' button, as per the instructions listed in the document linked in my previous post:

"If your GPIB board does not pass the NI-488.2 Troubleshooting Wizard, then:

Select the board that failed by left-clicking on its interface name (e.g., GPIB0).
Click on the Help button for more information.
Follow the troubleshooting instructions suggested.

Verify that the GPIB cable is not connected to your GPIB board. If you are using a GPIB-USB-A interface, make sure it is not connected to any instrument.

If your GPIB board is not found, then click on the Interface is Not Listed button for more information."

What are the results of these steps?

Regards
Hannah
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,723 Views)
Hello hannahW,
When I run the troubleshooting wizard it fails to find the hardware (that's what the screen shot shows in the .JPG). When i run Interface not listed i get a guide which essentially tells me it's plug and play.
Am i missing something obvious? I can not select the interface as the troubleshooting wizard has not listed it because it's failing to find the hardware. XP does seem happy though, the device manager screen shot i have included shows it's happy with the PCMCIA card installed. As i said originally, this is our first experience of using GPIB interface and we were evaluating it over interfaces we would normally use, but it does seem that it's the troubleshooting wizard which is failing to communicate with the card.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,720 Views)
Hi,

Take a look at this KB, in particular stage 4 where it asks you to check the devices resources. Does the device manager report any resource conflicts with your PCMCIA card?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/73FC6C30625F3AB986256D3600740BC5?OpenDocument

Hannah
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,700 Views)
Hello hannahW,
I have included some extra screen shots from device manager. As i said originally, the device manager seems happy with the card, it only seems to be the NI software that can't find it. Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,689 Views)
Hi,

It sounds like there may be a problem with your board. Call National Instruments on 01635 572410 (UK) and ask to speak to Hannah with reference to a possible faulty part. Then we can get the card replaced or repaired.

Regards

Hannah
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,678 Views)