Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB Explorer fails to run on Linux

Hi,
I've installed v2.3 of the Linux drivers for GPIB, but cannot get the GPIB Explorer to work properly.

Linux details:
Redhat Fedora Core release 3
Kernel 2.6.9-1.667

I realize that this is not an officially supported version of Linux, but I cannot use a different distribution (or kernel version) because of other system dependencies (precompiled binaries for which I cannot get source)

Running the GPIB Explorer starts, but then the cursor changes to an hourglass, and then after about 30-90 seconds the application quits.

System log details:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gpibenumsvc: [pid 2467] calling daemon()
rc: Starting gpibenumsvc:  succeeded
gpibexplorer: [libnipalu.so.1.9]  Warning: source/lib/linux/linLoadKern.cpp:168 - libKernelDriverLoad: Failed to open nipalk, errno: 2
gpibexplorer: [libnipalu.so.1.9]  Warning: source/initcln/initcln.cpp:147 - Posix: Init kInitClnPackage: kernelDriver: failed! status=-50204
gpibexplorer: [libnipalu.so.1.9]  Warning: source/package/posix/ulibEntry.cpp:192 - initialize: unable to load NI-PAL. status=-50204
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ran the INSTALL script from the CD which did not report any errors, and I restarted the system.  it would seem that I'm missing some kernel drivers, but I'm not sure why.

I'm trying to connect to both a GPIB-ENET/100 device and a GPIB-PCI card, though the latter was just for debugging this issue.

Any help greatly appreciated
-Mike
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,175 Views)
Mike,

As you mentioned Fedora Core 3 isn't officially supported, so there isn't too much I can do to help.  I would recommend that you try to install the latest versions of our drivers, which for you would include NI-VISA and NI-488.2. It sounds like you are using the latest version of NI-488.2, but you may want to try the latest NI-VISA, which MAY help. Also this post may be useful in trying to get the driver to work.

If you can't get the driver to work, then I would recommend trying our supported distributions. It might still be possible that your precompiled binaries will work on one of our supported distributions, or depending on your needs it might be possible to dual boot between distributions.

Shawn B.
National Instruments
Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,151 Views)