From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-ENET Support under Windows 10

I recently purchased a new PC with Windows 10 for my home use.   I have two GPIB-ENET Ethernet GPIB controllers that I use with Labview 2011 to run my test equipment.   The whole reason I went with Ethernet was to remove any problems with NI not having driver support for an obsolete PC bus.   I had been using these with Windows XP 32-bit.   The problem now is that I seem to be unable to install the software for them under Windows 10.   I tried XP compatibility mode and it comes up with some obsure error.    To use them with Labview 2011, I had been using the 2.2.4.3500 version as the 2.2.8 that was included no longer supported it.  Strange as its Ethernet.  

The only way I have found that I can use them is to use Oracle VM VirtualBox and create a Windows XP image.  I then install and run Labview under XP.  Everything works find but I can't believe I need to go to this to get an Ethernet device that NI produced working.  

Looks like $1200/ea for the 1G controllers.   I really don't need that sort of BW on GPIB and can't see investing it all new hardware a second time for home use.  

Does anyone else know of a way to get these working with Windows 10? 

Message 1 of 15
(5,571 Views)

Hi Joe,

Are you using this one? If not, can you link us the product page?

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(5,538 Views)

Mine are the original and may be seen here:

https://sigrok.org/wiki/National_Instruments_GPIB-ENET

They have worked very well over the years.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(5,527 Views)

Unforutnately the NI-488.2M driver for the GPIB-ENET is not tested for Windows 10 and likely unsupported. I think the VM is your best option here.

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(5,499 Views)

Is there a document on interfacing with the GPIB-ENET directly (using the Labview stack calls)?  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(5,490 Views)

It looks like the NI-488.2m driver is the gpibmngr.dll. You might be able to call it using a Call Library Function Node. The NI-488.2M Function Reference Manual explains each functions in detail

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(5,479 Views)

If you just post the command set for it, it will save me the time of having to sniff the bus to back it out.  I have not looked yet but guessing it would not be too difficult to bypass everything and talk with it direct.   My plan is to then just make a small library to mimic the orginal GPIB commands.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,469 Views)

Hi Joe,

I'm not quite sure what you meant by commands. If you are talking about the commands that the GPIB instrument takes (the device that the GPIB-ENET is connected to), that is most likely device specific, please check its manual for that. Most GPIB instruments should have a command manual.

If you are talking about the functions you can use to call the commands, all the functions are in the 488.2M Function Reference Manual. I think it is a better resource. 

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(5,449 Views)

I was asking about about the low level interface of the GPIB-ENET which is why I mentioned sniffing the Ethernet bus.  I am pretty clear on the commands used to control my equipment.   I would assume there was a document that the sofware developers used to write the interface originally.  This is what I would be interested in.  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(5,441 Views)

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately that is not something we normally provide. If this is absoulatly nessasaary, please create a Service Request by calling in to 866-275-6964.

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,426 Views)