Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB ENET/100 on debian linux 3.0

I want to use the ENET/100 controller from a x86 computer
with debian linux 3.0 (woody) installed on it.
(no GUI, just console)

nienet linux 1.2 drivers (not 2.2, i don't have a GUI on the computer)

I dont get the linux drivers working:
With "EthernetConfig" i can find the controller and give it an ip adress, ... no problem
I can ping to the controller.
But i can not communicate with the instruments on the bus or use the bus at all.
(using Interactive control).

I always get the EDVR - error, so there must be a driver error.

Probably there is a fault with the installation of the drivers, but i dont know what...

ps: I already managed to communicate with the Instruments on the bus using an
PCMCIA GPIB+ card on a WIN2000 computer and develop applications on it.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,917 Views)
Hi,

When you configure the driver on Linux, you have to use IBCONF. IBCONF should show at the top of the screen a box saying "GPIB0" twice. The first one is the name of the GPIB board that the driver will use internally and the second one is the hostname that the driver will use to communicate with the ENET box. Since the driver defaults to a hostname of "GPIB0", you will need to make sure that you can get to the GPIB-ENET/100 box by referring to it as GPIB0 to the operating system. A good way to test this is to use the "ping" utility: type "ping GPIB0".

An entry for the GPIB-ENET in the hosts file would use the following format:
"Internet address (IP address)" "Official host name" "Alias"

For example, if the IP Address configured with the EthernetConfig utility is 130.164.156.50, IBCONF must indicate "gpib0" for the hostname and you must add the following line in the /etc/HOSTS file:
130.164.156.50 gpib0 gpib0

Check the link below:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/F9180BC03E94CF3086256324006EB971?OpenDocument

If this works ok, than I would check for problems on the device side because the driver should be working ok then with IBIC commands.

Regards.

JV
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,905 Views)