Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB Driver Translator

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

My problem is that I've been given a piece of compiled LabVIEW software that talks to a few different instruments.  Although we have all of the instruments, one of them is from a different manufacturer and is controlled differently than what the code is written for.  I would like to create a LabVIEW program that acts as the instrument the software is looking for and just translate the GPIB calls to a form that my instrument can recognize.  Does anyone have example code or an idea where to start?  I guess my main problem is finding a way for a LabVIEW program to register over GPIB as an instrument with an address since I'm use to just calling them.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,470 Views)
Solution
Accepted by DrNO23
I think you would need a pc with a gpib controller set as a listener at the address of the original instrument. It would read the commands and then write to the new instrument. Not trivial and not cheap. Why don't you simply rebuild the exe or buy the original instrument?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,457 Views)

I didn't write the original LabVIEW program so I don't have access to the uncompiled version of the files.  The instrument that I'm referring to is a temperature controller and if I replaced it I would have to replace a few more components in our vacuum chamber which could cost >$10,000.

Do you know if it's possible to setup a GPIB listener on the same computer? If so how would I do it? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,442 Views)
You can add a second GPIB controller to the pc but it would not have the same address of the original instrument so no.

You'll have to determine whether the cost of using the original type of equipment is more expensive than the cost of your time to write the new software plus the cost of the new instrument. Don't forget to factor in the performance lost by capturing the original commands and sending the new ones.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,436 Views)