Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB Analyzer missing card error but troble wizard OK

In trying to install and communicate with my PCMCIA GPIB card the GPIB analyzer does not recognize the card (Unkown/missing GPIB+ Card). But all the installation wizards and troubleshooting wizards test satisfactory. I have reinstalled the device. Th OS recognizes the device but when I try to communicate with an instrument (connected and powered on) no instrument is detected. I then open the GPIB Analyzer and get the Card error. I am using a Gateway laptop with EWindows XP and a Centrino Processor.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,874 Views)
Are you certain that you have an analyzer board? National Instruments makes two different types of PCMCIA-GPIB boards:
1) PCMCIA-GPIB: This board functions as a Talker/Listener/Controller and is used with LabVIEW, C, C++, Basic, etc. to communicate with GPIB instruments.
2) PCMCIA-GPIB+: This board contains all of the functionality of the PCMCIA-GPIB, but also adds analyzer capability to analyze the GPIB to detect protocol errors.

If you have a PCMCIA-GPIB board and you try to run the analyzer software, it will tell you that an analyzer was not detected on the system and that you can only use the analyzer to review existing analyzer traces.

The name of the card should be on the label of the GPIB card.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,874 Views)
As suggested I don't have an analyzer board, but only one part of the question was answered. If the card installed correctly then why won't it communicate with the instrument?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,874 Views)
Although my experience with an NI USB-GPIB interface is not a PCMCIA interface, the problem is similar and the workaround might be. After installing the driver and inserting the interface, the interface ("device" from the point of view of OS but not GPIB) was recognized and the driver was associated with it, but they did not work. It was necessary to power down the PC and the interface together, and then power them up again. Of course there are a dozen reasons why this should not be necessary, but it was. Essentially the same dozen reasons say that a power cycle shouldn't be necessary for PCMCIA either, but you ought to try it anyway.

(Even if you're running Windows NT4 then a reboot should be sufficient, but my experience says that a power
cycle might be necessary. But USB doesn't run with NT4 and I no longer have a machine running NT4 so I couldn't experiment. Anyway this paragraph is tangential.)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,874 Views)
Kent,

Does the "Scan for Instruments" button in Measurement and Automation explorer pick up the instrument and show it under the GPIB interface card? If so, then your instrument is responding properly to the GPIB signaling. One thing to remember when communicating with instruments is that not all instruments use the same types of commands, termination characters, or termination methods. Not all instruments will respond to "*IDN?" which is the default string in the 488.2 communicator. If you have the programmer's reference manual to the device, you should be able to determine what strings are appropriate to communicate with the device.

If your instrument is not showing up after a "Scan for Instruments", you need to check to make sure that the
re is not an address conflict between your card (usually address 0) and your device. Additionally, some low-level troubleshooting steps can be accomplished with IBIC. This link will help you use it.

Hope this helps,
Scott
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,874 Views)