Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eurotherm 2404 RS232

Hello all,

Another day, another problem with my serial connections!

I am trying to log the reading from a Eurotherm 2404 using the driver linked through the NI website (NI Driver). The baud rate, data bits, parity, and stop bits are set at 9600, 7, even, 1, as specified by the instrument I am using. However I cannot get the VIs to work properly, and have traced the error to the VISA read serial. When I try to query the device through MAX, I just get a time out error again.

I have tried both null modem and straight through cables. Does anyone have any other suggesitons for things to try?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,677 Views)

Update: I have tried to connect through hyperterminal. Seems to connect ok, though I'm not sure what to do with hyperterminal once it says the connection is established to verify this further. In the VI the VISA read is still timing out in the modbus rtu recieve. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,639 Views)

Tried to connect to the eurotherm using itools MODBUS, this also presented an error.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,623 Views)
How are you trying to query the device in MAX? Connecting hyperterminal only means you've connected to your com port and does not mean you've connected to the instrument. When you run the other modbus program, did you forget to close LabVIEW our MAX? Also, you should not be guessing as to the type of cable required. That should be spelled out in the manual.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,618 Views)

It is supposed to be straight-through, but I tried null-modem to make sure. I just tried a different driver from a colleague, and this works fine. I am not sure what the problem was, but the driver from NI does not like my eurotherm (or visa-versa!)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,606 Views)

Charlie,

Would you please point me in the direction of that driver?  

I have the exact same problem.  Only difference is that I am using a USB to RS485 cable for my comms.

Thanks a bunch!

-Aaron

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,502 Views)

Charlie & Aaron,

I've been having the same problem as well, using RS485 to USB.  Is there an alternate driver or workaround you can help me with?

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,068 Views)

Hello,

My name is Ed at National Instruments Technical Support. I understand that you would like the driver that Charlie has used in the original thread to resolve his issues, in the meantime until he replies with this you can alternatively try two sources of drivers and see whether these solve your issues, there is:

1. The NI provided drivers available at http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=2529;

2. The manufacturer provided drivers, available under downloads->software at http://www.eurotherm.com/products/controllers/single-loop/2400/2404/.

I suggest that you try each of these drivers as these are the most likely to have been used.

I hope that this helps and that one of these drivers resolves your issue, in the mean time i'll research into any other possible drivers and try to find out the compatibility of the drivers with LabVIEW versions. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,040 Views)

Hello,

Did anyone ever find a resolution to this issue?  I attempting to communicate with a 2408 controller using the ET24xx drivers and am getting the same error at the VISA read in the initialize VI.

Thanks
!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,444 Views)