From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while using the validate function in SwitchExec

I have created a Route in SwitchExec for connecting channels COM0 and COM1 for a particular switch in SwitchExec. I get the error: (Hex 0xBFFA0001) Instrument error detected.

The same connection works fine when run directly through the LabWindows/CVI function panel.

Has anyone faced a similar problem?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,996 Views)
This error comes from the instrument driver, not switch executive. If this is a driver you developed, I suggest debugging the driver using the simple application that does the same thing as the validation process:

- open niSE session
loop through all routes
- connect route
- disconnect route
end loop
loop through all route groups
- connect route group
- disconnect route group
end loop
- close niSE session

You can write this application in CVI, and use the debug version of your driver which I presume is written in CVI. That way you can step through your driver's SetPath function (which is called from NI Switch Executive) and see why it fails with the 0xbffa0001 error.

You can also reuse existing NI Switch Executive sample programs in C
VI to reproduce the problem you were seeing in the validator.

If the driver is provided by a third party, and you have the source code for it, you can try the same procedure as above, and then either fix the driver yourself or inform the original developers about the problem.

If the driver did not come with a source code, then contact the company that provided the driver with the way to reproduce a problem.

For future reference, when you run into a problem that looks like it is coming from the specific driver (which was the case here) it would help if you also mentioned which driver did you use.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,996 Views)