Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error ibtsta: (1) set gpib(0), status 0X8100 returned when 0X100 expected

During install of a GPIB-ENET/100 device and the associated NI-488.2 v1.4 software and running the ibtsta utility (to check for proper software install) I recieve multiple errors the first of which is: (1) set gpib(0), status 0X8100 returned when 0X100 expected
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,319 Views)
Hello,

The first thing I would suggest is to install version 2.1 of the 488.2 driver. This is the latest driver and is most up to date with fixes and problems. This driver can be downloaded at the following link:

http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/3D536368FAF409A086256D3400650632?opendocument&node=132070_US

Before installing this driver, be sure to uninstall the other version you had previously installed. Once you have installed version 2.1, follow instructions on page 2-1 of the following Getting Started guide.

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/AD4CF789930DECA78625693C005D1919?OpenDocument&node=2421_US

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Steven B.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,319 Views)
Hello,

Since you mention you are using the ibtsta utility, are you using a Solaris Driver? If so, then I think I pointed you to the wrong location. Here is the location of that driver.

http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/67F3A445BC3B87C3862569F2005855D9?opendocument&node=132070_US

After reinstalling the driver do you still receive the same error?

Regards,
Steven B.
Application Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,319 Views)
We are using NI-488.2 Version 1.4 for HP-UX. The HP Workstation we are installing this software on is a standard C3600 running HP-UX 10.2.

I click on the link above, however when I choose HP, the latest revision I can use is NI-488.2 Version 1.5 and when I go to download this version the message shown says that if I have version 1.4 I do not need version 1.5.

The attachment below shows a list of the files in our working directory. We do not have a floppy drive on our controller so we had to import these files over the network to our HP Workstation (I don't know if this would matter).

Thank you,

Abel Fernandez
EEII
Raytheon EWS
6380 Hollister Ave.
Goleta, CA 93117-3114
805-879-2594 voice
805-879-3058 fax
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,319 Views)
Hello Abel,

I have a couple more questions. First of all, did you follow the installation instructions for installing the driver and the GPIB-ENET/100 in chapters 2 and 3 of the following manual? If so, at what step do you start receiving the error?

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/5bc024a37e7bd33186256a02006a3f73?OpenDocument

Also, could you tell me what the value of iberr is at the time you receive the error?

Regards,

Steven B.
Application Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,319 Views)
To: Steven B.,

I am using "GPIB Getting Started with Your GPIB-ENET/100 and NI-488.2 for HP-UX", guide March 2001 Edition, P/N 322987A-01 to help me with the installation of a GPIB-ENET/100 device on a HP-UX Workstation.

Our System Information:

1. We are using HP-UX 10.2

2. We have a "E154502 24 AWG CMR (UL) VERIFIED CATAGORY 5 PATCH CABLE ALLEN TEL PRODUCTS CSA LL97744 AWM I/II A/B FT4" blue cable connected from a "LINKSYS FAST ETHERNET 10/100 5-PORT NETWORK HUB" port 1 to a "GPIB-ENET/100" device.
We also have a "HITACHI DATA MASTER CATAGORY 5e -- HCM 4PR/24 AWG (UL) TYPE CM c(UL) -- TYPE FT4 -- (UL) -- VERIFIED TO TIA/EIA -- 568 -- B.2 CAT 5e -- 5/02 (A3394) 180738" green cable connected from the network port on our "STANDARD C3600 HP-UX CONTROLLER SERVER" to the "LINKSYS FAST ETHERNET 10/100 5-PORT NETWORK HUB" port 2.

3. We have TCP/IP installed on our UNIX controller.

4. We are using NI-488.2 Version 1.4.

Also:

Upon power up the PWR/RDY LED blinks red/yellow rapidly. After approx. 30-60 seconds later the PWR/RDY LED stays constant.

According to the guide because we are not connected to the network and therefore no DHCP is available, our GPIB-ENET/100 device should automatically go into network configuration mode recognized by the PWR/RDY LED continuing to blink red/yellow rapidly. This however does not happen. We have entered network configuration mode manually by holding down the CFG RESET switch for approx. 3 seconds. After this we run the EthernetConfig utility and we get the following results:

IP ADDRESS/HOSTNAME ETHERNET ADDRESS SERIAL NUMBER MODEL COMMENT
(0) *busy* 00:80:2F:0A:30:6B

When we try to view properties of the device we get the message: No device found.

We also performed the steps per Chapter 2, page 2-1 installing the software and running the instgpib utility. We followed the instructions that appeared and everything seemed to install fine. After we were having trouble above we decided to check the software installation using the ibtsta utility per 5-1 in the "GPIB Getting Started with Your GPIB-ENET/100 and NI-488.2 for HP-UX" guide. We got several errors of which this one shown is the first:

Error: (1) set gpib(0), status 0X8100 returned when 0X100 expected. Error ENEB returned.

Also, I cannot find the UNIX instruction or variable iberr anywhere. Can you tell me how I can find out the value of iberr?

Thank you,

Abel Fernandez
Raytheon EWS
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,319 Views)
Hello Abel,

I have another couple suggestions for you to try. One thing I am curious about is if you have gotten this ENET/100 to work successfully on another machine before, maybe even a machine with a different OS? Also, what are your network settings, specifically your IP address and subnet settings? We need to make sure the the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. Also, have you tried connecting your computer to the ENET/100 via a cross over cable instead to see if it is possibly a problem connecting through the network?

Another couple things for you to try would be to try reseting the box as described on page 6-4. This will help to ensure the box is in the original configuration. Also, refer to page B-3 to make sure y
ou have followed all common questions listed there as well.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Steven B.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,319 Views)
To answer your questions:

1. Yes, our GPIB-ENET/100 device has been confirmed to work in a PC/Windows environment (have not confirmed the operating system).

2. I have not been able to view the subnet mask setting. As for the IP Address, it is automatically assigned now that we are connected to a network and using DHCP.

3. I do have a CAT 5 cross over cable, however we have moved forward while using DHCP with the following results:

We are now able to run the EthernetConfig utility and our device shows up with the default hostname, however it has an exclamation point in front of the hostname which according to our guide notifies us that we have a configuration problem. We then choose to view properties and we get
the following error message: "This device uses DHCP and is configured to use the hostname "NINETD49B03". However the DNS server assigned it the hostname "NINETD49B03". Your device must be configured with a valid hostname to function properly."

We then entered Network Configuration Mode (pressing and holding CFG/RESET > 3s) and changed the hostname and saved our settings to "hp3070d" (hostname that we think we need to use). We ran the EthernetConfig utility again with the same error message.

4. We will try to reset the device as described in section 6-4 and review B-3.

Also we run ibtsta with several errors of which this is the first:
Error: (1) set gpib(0), status 0X8100 returned when 0X100 expected. Error ENEB returned.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,319 Views)
Hello,

The ENEB error being returned suggests to me that hostname is invalid. We need to make sure that it is correct. Also, are you able to ping the device?

One other thing for you to check is to follow the Troubleshooting Software Problems on page B-1 and B-2 of the manual.

Do you see any of the behavior described here?

Regards,

Steven B.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,319 Views)
To: Steven B.,

We are currently in a down time period due to production test having the highest priority. However we have asked our "network" guy to check if our hostname is valid. We are also going to "ping" the device if possible once we have priority on the test station.

Thank you,

Abel Fernandez
Raytheon EWS
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,319 Views)