Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code 10 when using VISA driver wizard

Hi,

I am trying to get a Tenma 72-6630 programmable power supply to communicate through the supplied USB port/cable with labview.  I tried the windows drivers but had no success.  So I did some research on the NI site and found that I need to use the VISA driver wizard to construct drivers for this USB device.  I then opened the manufacturer's driver and extracted the required information from there to input into the VISA driver wizard.  The wizard finished without issue and I installed the new driver for this device.  I told windows where to look for the driver and it found it no problem and installed it.  However, this is where the problem arises....

I get a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"  through the device manager in windows.  When I checked to see if LabVIEW could see the device using the VISA Interactive Control all I can see is the serial COM's and parallel LPT's but no USB devices appear at all.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, rebooting, and modifying the VISA driver wizard driver with no success.

I am not sure what to try at this point and I am looking for suggestions....
I have attached the generated driver.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,055 Views)
The information I get from Tenma's web site is that they supply the power supply with a serial interface cable. Do you have any information from them about this USB connection that you can post? If it's supposed to emulate a serial connection, it would show up in MAX as just another serial port and you do not use the driver wizard to create anything. You just use VISA and select the new com port. Did they supply anything to test their supply outside of LabVIEW? If they did and that doesn't work, there's the possiblility that the ps or the USB cable is bad and I would contact Tenma and get it working with their driver first. If it's just a USB->RS-232 adaptor, then you use Hyperterminal to talk to it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(6,045 Views)
The information in the manual about the USB is as follows:

It is USB 1.1
It is not an RS232->USB, there is another option for connecting several in series using RS232 and RS485
I also have tried to see if the VISA sees this PS as a COM port and it doesn't.
There is supplied software that I have not messed with yet.
I followed their instructions to make sure the power supply is looking at the USB port and not the RS 232 port.

I have 3 of them so I don't think it is a case of a bad PS but I will try the supplied software to make sure...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,042 Views)
The supplied software and driver are able to communicate with the PS just fine.  I checked the VISA Interactive Control to see if I was able to see any USB ports and I can still only see the serial and parallel ports.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,042 Views)
Have you tried using the supplied sofware with LabVIEW? There's probably a dll that is provided and you can use the Call Library Node Function to access a dll. Did they provide any information on how to use their driver from an external program. Also, if you do create a VISA driver with the wizard, you have to first remove from your pc the driver from Tenma. Windows will not open both and if it''s installed, it's loading that first and your VISA driver will fail to load. Lastly, if you do remove their driver and create your own, you will need information from Tenma on it's USB RAW commands. If they don't provide that, you won't be able to communicate with it even if you do get the device to be recognized in MAX.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,040 Views)
I have looked for additional .dll's etc but all I found that was not associated with their software was the .inf.  I will double check.  They supplied zero information on using anything other that their supplied software.  I did remove the existing driver before doing the VISA driver.  The manual does supply a list of commands to communicate with the PS so now I just have to get it to connect.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(6,035 Views)
Can you post the manual or provide a link to it? Seeing the original .inf file might help too. What is the nature of the commands? Like I said, unless they provide the USB RAW information, the commands won't be of any use if they are designed to be only used with their driver.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(6,026 Views)
Unfortunately the manual is print only so I can't post it.
I will post the original driver in a minute

Some of the commands are:
SESS
ENDS
CCOM
GCOM
GMAX
GOVP
GETD
GETS
GETM
GETP
WOLT
CURR
SOVP
SOUT
PROM
PROP
RUNM
RUNP
STOP
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(6,022 Views)
Here is the vendor driver
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(6,023 Views)
Aside from the "D12TEST.Sys" that it's using, it doesn't tell me much except yes you are correct that it doesn't seem to be just emulating a USB->RS232 adaptor. I tried to compare your .inf file created by the driver wizard with one I'm using for an in-house USB instrument but it looks like yours was created with a newer version and there are some differences but I don't know if they are important. I really don't know what to suggest now except removing the oem12.inf and oem.pnf files and trying the wizard again. Sorry.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(6,010 Views)