Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code 10 Returned on PCMCIA-GPIB Installation

I have exactly the problem described below when using a brand new Sony notebook (PCG-GRT40ZP) under windows XP, yet the GPIB card works fine on an earlier Sony laptop using identical software. Is this an unsolvable problem or is there still hope ?

Error Code 10 Returned on PCMCIA-GPIB Installation

Hardware: GPIB>>Plug-in Controllers>>PCMCIA-GPIB

Problem: Why do I receive the Windows Device Manager error Code 10: Device failed to start when I install my PCMCIA-GPIB card?

Solution: Code 10 is a Windows Device Manager error that occurs when a device is not working properly or is missing from the system. To resolve this error, try removing and reinserting the PCMCIA-GPIB card to make sure it is properly se
ated in the PCMCIA socket. If reinstalling the PCMCIA-GPIB still generates the error in the Device Manager, upgrade the BIOS of your computer to the latest version.

This Windows error code is generated if the computer BIOS does not correctly detect the PCMCIA-GPIB. BIOS updates are generally available from the computer manufacturer Web site. If both these steps fail, it is likely that either the PCMCIA socket or the PCMCIA card is malfunctioning. Install the PCMCIA card in a different computer to determine whether it is functioning. Contact National Instruments Technical Support (linked below) if these troubleshooting techniques do not resolve the issue.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,441 Views)
Hello,

Thanks for contacting National Instruments.

I would say the first thing to try is to upgrade your driver to NI 488.2 version 2.2. That driver can be downloaded here:

http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/E269BD7F280E068986256E9700660397?opendocument&node=132060_US

If that doesn't work, have you tried upgrading the BIOS? Also, what kind of cardbus controller do you have?

Regards,

Steven B.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,441 Views)
Steven B
Thanks for your suggestions.
The latest driver does not fix the problem.
The cardbus controller is Ricoh R/RL/5C476 (II)
The PCMCIA driver is microsoft V 5.1.2600.0

The laptop is brand new and I do not have access to an upgraded BIOS (if any)

There are no error messages with the updated driver but the GPIB connection still fails at the final hurdle under MAX troubleshooting.

I have tried many different address settings under dveice manager, but the software will not let me change the interrupt (no conflict is indicated)

Any more ideas ?

Steve C
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,441 Views)
Hi Steve,

I think it would best if you could call in to talk to one of our support engineers. It sounds like you are having a strange problem and it would best if we could walk you through some troubleshooting steps on the phone. To generate a phone support request, go to the following site and click on Phone NI.

http://www.ni.com/support/

Regards,
Steven B.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,441 Views)