Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 6 occurred at RcvRespMsg - NI-488: I/O operation aborted.

Hi,
I am getting an error while trying to Read data bytes from a previously addressed device (RcvRespMsg) with Labview 7.1. In MAX I can write data to control my Test Receiver by GPIB USB-B. I tried to run the same software I usually work with and it was working totally fine until today. Since I didn’t change anything to the software, I wanted to know to solve that error:

-----------------------------------------
Error 6 occurred at RcvRespMsg in ESVBv2.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: Generic file I/O error.
---
NI-488: I/O operation aborted.
-----------------------------------------

Thanks a lot for your help,

Phil
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,520 Views)
Hi Phil,

It looks like we'll have to gather some more information to see exactly what this error is indicating, because it could be any number of things. To make sure I understand the situation correctly, you had an application that communicated with a GPIB-USB-B to an instrument that worked properly. No changes were made to the software or driver, and now it always receives this error. If I misunderstood the situation at all, please let me know.

Have you tried communicating with the device through MAX since the program failed? What was the result of that? Also, what part of the program is this error coming from? Opening a connection? Reading? Writing? Another good tool to help diagnose this problem would be to use NI Spy to get a spy capture and see what is going on at the driver level.

Keep us posted on your progress so that we can help you get this resolved!

john m
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,473 Views)
Hi John,
Thanks for your prompt response. It was working fine in MAX. The error was coming out when the GPIB was on reading mode. I did change a thing to the software. I deleted a waituntilnextms.vi of 1 s before sending a trigger to my Instrument. When I tried to configure my instrument with VISA in Labview, I think the configuration of my Instrument was not completed before it received the trigger. NI-Spy is a great tool indeed to see what is going on at the driver level.

Many thanks,

Phil
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,468 Views)
Glad to know you were able to find the error, Phil. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

john
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,464 Views)