Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -1073807343 When Using a USB-Serial Adapter.

We are upgrading our current setup for motion control of a ultrasonics testing fixture.
The motors are controlled via 832T Berkeley Axis Machine (BAM-832T), which also reads and handles the the encoder information. The BAM uses a RS-232 serial port to connect to an Mac PowerPC 8.x, and the labview 4.0.
We are now upgrading to a Mac G4 Graphite with OS X and LabView 7.0. We use the USB-to-Serial converter to connect to the Bam-832. We open the old Labview programs using version 7.0. But the serial device can not communicate to Labview correctly.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,166 Views)
Hello,

Is the USB-Serial converter an NI product? What is the model? Are you sure that the hardware is working correctly? I suggest that you perform a loopback test to confirm that it is working up to that point. See the following article:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/D48BA43C59B60277862569EE000501FD?opendocument

Also, you can try the LabVIEW <-> Serial.vi example that ships with LabVIEW by going to Help...Find Examples. This will allow you to test simple basic reads and writes from LabVIEW through VISA, the communications driver that LabVIEW uses.

If that works, then you can focus on what could possibly be going wrong in your applications. If not, then you can look more into your hardware (OS drivers, hardware, cabling).

Le
t me know if I can be of further assistance by posting here.

Scott B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,166 Views)