Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -1073807339 VISA Timeout expired for Parallel Port

Hey Everyone,

I know a lot of people have had this error occur before, but I'm not quite sure what's wrong with my program.

I’m re-writing a program that used to output information through Out_Port##.vi so that it outputs through VISA instead. However, I keep on getting the timeout error -1073807339 even on a simplified .vi on a separate file.

After following the steps in the article out of the NI support KnowledgeBase, I still cannot find a way to make this error stop appearing. I just need to communicate with LPT1. I have the newest LabVIEW Professional and VISA. Any recommendations? See below.

image002.jpgimage004.jpg

-Monica

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,533 Views)

Monica,

I found an article that is more comprehensive regarding VISA parallel commands in LabVIEW, I don't know whether or not you saw this yet:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B937AC4D8664E37886257206000551CB?OpenDocument

Also, have you tried using the VISA test panels in MAX to communicate with this device?  Your LabVIEW code looks similar to the example code for VISA parallel communication, and I don't suspect it's the issue here.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,504 Views)

Matt,

Sorry for the late response. I have seen that article already and it looks like everything I have should be configured correctly.

I'm using LabVIEW to connect the computer's LP1 parallel port to a serial port on a Sherline Motor Controller. To use MAX it looks like I need drivers of some sort...? I have never used MAX before.

But anyway, you're saying there's nothing wrong with my code, but probably something wrong with the connection, correct? Below is the final code that gets the same error:

image001.jpg

Thanks!

Monica

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,460 Views)

Hi Monica,

So you are using a parallel to serial converter or something similar?  Do you have the latest versions of NI-VISA and NI-Serial?  As far as your code, I would avoid closing your VISA resource outside of the sequence structure like that, just once at the end should suffice.  You can just pass the error wire from the first write function through to the second one.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,443 Views)

Hi everyone,

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,385 Views)

Hi Tomze,

As Monica noted in her first post, this error can happen for a variety of reasons. If you've tried everything listed in the KBs linked here already, making a new post and letting us know how you have your system setup will allow us to help more effectively.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,352 Views)

@Matt_L wrote:

Hi Monica,

So you are using a parallel to serial converter or something similar?  Do you have the latest versions of NI-VISA and NI-Serial?  As far as your code, I would avoid closing your VISA resource outside of the sequence structure like that, just once at the end should suffice.  You can just pass the error wire from the first write function through to the second one.

You should not be closing your VISA resource inside a loop at all.  What you have done here is place the  first VISA Close in parallel with the second VISA Write which is going to try to Open the resource again (only to close it a few femtoSec later.  

Close the resource only after you a finished with it completely

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,343 Views)