Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMtest GPIB interface error after updating NI-488.2 driver

I am using GPIB interface and Vendor Software to control EMtest devices (Autowave & VDS). After updating the NI-488.2 from version 2.2.7 (ni488227.exe) to 3.1.2 (ni488_312) the EMTest software is no longer recognizing the NI PCIe-GPIB interface (?).

After re-installing back the old NI-488.2.2.7 everything is returned to normal. Is there any known solution to this type of errors?

Thank you!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,252 Views)
Aside from the obvious where one is GPIB 1 and the other is GPIB 0, you should really be contacting the vendor of that software.
Message 2 of 11
(7,227 Views)

There are no HW changes on my system (the only variable is the NI-488 driver version) and my software has no options to add or change the settings of an GPIB interface (except the GPIB addresses of my devices).

In NI-MAX I found no diferences, my PCI card is always defined as GPIB0. The problem is that somehow my software is set on GPIB1 after updating the NI-488 driver ... therefore is not able to find any GPIB card.

I was just wondering if anyone had similar problems while I am not able to find any satisfying configuration to my software (except using the old version of NI-488). And maybe there is a solution/configuration of the NI-driver.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,215 Views)

Hello Is this issue is solved?I have few questions on how did u write drivers for emtest autowave.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,759 Views)

Hi Maahi,

the solution was to downgrade the NI-488 drivers to version 2.7.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-488.2-2.7/1240/en/

The interface you saw in my previous post was the software provided by EM Test. This software is quite old (works on 16 bits OS) and this might explain the problems with the new drivers.

All the best!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,748 Views)

Thanks alot for the reply.  I'm in a process of implementing the drivers for emtest autowave. I didn't find anything on NI drivers for this. Could you please let me know, how can i get this drivers? Any links or sources will be highly appeciated.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,743 Views)

EM TEST is providing the required software:

http://www.emtest.com/products/software_12780.php

You have to contact them because they do not have any download link on their website. NI does not provide drivers or support for EM Test equipment.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find LabView drivers or documentation about GPIB/VISA instructions used to control this equipments. Therefore, you are somehow forced to use their custom software.

All the best!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,738 Views)

Hello.

Thanks for your reply,

I am currently doing this as per remote manual.

rm = visa.ResourceManager()
string = "GPIB0::18::INSTR"
self.inst = rm.open_resource(string,open_timeout= 60)
print(self.inst.query("*IDN?"))
GPIBstring = "TRFL r/home/guest/DowFiles/SineTest.dsg"
self.inst.write(GPIBstring)
self.inst.write("DIR? DOWD")
# self.interface.vi_write("DIR? RECD")
self.inst.write("MOD GEN")
self.inst.write("SOUR SEGM SineTest.dsg")
self.inst.write("TRFL %s" %path)

But I'm facing error :

ERROR: File read problem

I didn't install any software from emtest autowave. Is any software  is required?

Anything I need to do before transfer.

If I want to transfer from my PC path how to do it? Instead of this path /home/guest/DowFiles/SineTest.

Thanks in advance!!

I really appreciate any code snippets to do this.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,541 Views)

Hi Maahi74469,

Based on the comments from others in this thread, it sounds like you do need the device drivers from EM Test. I would suggest you contact them directly to get the software as bogdan.ciobanu mentioned. The questions you have sound like something they would need to answer since it is about the behavior of the device, and you would probably receive help much faster by contacting EM Test than by waiting for others to respond here. 

Charlie J.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,492 Views)

Hello,

I have installed the autowave.control software from EMTEST and the drivers (LabView as well) will be installed in users/public/public documents/........ folder

Message 10 of 11
(4,537 Views)