Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped commands via ethernet connection

Hello,

I seem to have commands dropped whenever I use ethernet connections as opposed to GPIB or RS232. I do not know if it is due to timing but depending on the instrument the more frequent the dropped commands occur. If I highlight the execution, I see the data flow as expected and commands. I have tried placing timeouts before and after/delays in between commands, even *OPC, to make sure the operation is complete before moving on to the next command. 

This question is very general for very specific pieces of instruments but I am convinced it is due to the ethernet connection and my understanding of the timing of commands.

Thanks,

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,695 Views)

Some instruments just need time to process commands before they can accept any more.  The Ethernet tends to send data faster, but also has a higher latency.  You could be running into this latency issue.  In general, you should have waits between commands just for allowing the instrument to process it, regardless of the communication bus.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,688 Views)

Thanks!

I checked for a latency spec on the instrument(Sorenson XG600-2.4 Dc Supply) and could not find one. A tech support at sorenson told me a typical for all instruments is 250ms between each command. Is there a wayI can make sure that the command is sent and completed before each command such as *OPC and *OPC? and do I need to put time delays and OPC commands inbetween every command? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,681 Views)

I just put in the time delay and don't worry about it.  When it comes to power supplies, I typically add a lot more time just to allow it to get to the right output (it takes time to charge up that capacitor bank).

The OPC? command is a hit or miss depending on the instrument.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,677 Views)

Thanks, wierd that the command is a hit or miss w/ certain instruments. I'll give it a shot!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,657 Views)