Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver installed every time USB GPIB in plugged in

Hi all,

I have installed the V2.3 driver for my USB GPIB interface and successfully used the sample VB.NET to create a controller for my measurement equipment. However, everytime I connect the GPIB USB-B device to my development machine the XP machine I am developing on detects new hardware. This also occurrs on the machine that I am deploying my application onto. I installed the drivers before connecting the GPIB device for the first time from the CD supplied with the hardware!!

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be the case. It only takes it a couple of seconds to install the drivers again, but I should be necessary. I have admin rights to my development and deployment machines!

Many thanks,

Jason.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,073 Views)
This is expected behavior if you change the USB port that the GPIB-USB-B is plugged in to. The reason has to do with Windows enumeration of devices: Windows gives a USB-B a unique identifier based on the Product ID, Vendor ID, and Port number. If you remove the USB-B and plug it into another port, the unique identifier changes (port number changed), so it is re-enumerated. You should be able to unplug and replug into the exact same port (as long as your USB hub configuration didn't change) without getting the enumeration popups.

Scott B.
GPIB
National instruments
Message 2 of 3
(3,057 Views)
Many thanks,

Jason.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,045 Views)