Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does VISA support COM2?

My PC has no COM2. If it did, would I see COM2 as a choice in the VISA resource name control?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,489 Views)
Oh yes you would, that is how sensitive VISA is. It is also demanding so if your instruments are not VISA compatible you will see a VISA source error code. But as long your pc has a connective port whether it is com 1 or 2; USB; IEEE and/or GPIB, VISA source session will automatically try to manage/lead the communication between your instruments (hardware) and LabVIEW. Good luck.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,489 Views)
There's no such thing as instruments compatible with VISA. There are only instruments compatible with with some sort of hardware interface. VISA is a software layer between an application (i.e. LabVIEW) and a hardware resource (i.e. GPIB, serial). VISA errors are almost always the result of incorrect application level programming.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,489 Views)
Note the word "almost", and what exactly do you mean by appllication level programming Knutson? Is down to the configuration of the serial cable heads for example DB9-pin to a DB25-pin or DB9-9 with two cross and parallel or what? YOu name it we'll try to understand it. What you wrote did not make a whole lot of sense. So be more specific please.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,489 Views)
I think I made as much sense as your comment about VISA compatible instruments. Outside of serial comm, the physical connections to an instrument are usually pretty hard to make mistakes with (i.e. GPIB). And I have found that over the years, that the number of ways to make mistakes in writing a serial comm program (baud rate, parity, handshaking, data bits, termination, stop bits, etc.) are far greater than the number of ways to make mistakes in cabling.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,489 Views)
We successfully configurated our instruments.So Mr know it all tell me more, 'cause we kept on receiving VISA error kodes in combination with these instruments. We tried everything, even got an expert from NI.Norway.COM to check it out and that expert couldn't put HUMPTY DUMPTY TOGETHER AGAIN. GET THE POINT? SO MAKE MORE SENSE PLEASE.EVEN CHECKED PIN OUT CONFIGURATIONS. MMM WHAT DID YOU SAY?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,489 Views)
I say you need to calm down and make a little more sense yourself. In your posts you have not provided nearly enough information for anyone to help. All you've said is that some instrument does not work. What is the interface (serial, GPIB, etc). What are the actual VISA error codes? What programming language are you using? Can you attach a snippet of code so that someone can look at it? What is the make and model number of the instrument? If VISA doesn't work, have you successfully communicated with it with another API? You can continue to rant and rave or you can provide these kind of details and possibly recieve some help.

The only point that I get is that you are extremely frustrated but please don't bla
me me for that frustration. I gather that you think that there is something wrong with VISA. All I can say is that I've never had a situation where I couldn't use VISA for instrument communication and that the majority of problems I've seen is the result of a mistake in programming.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,489 Views)