Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to reinstall driver??

I removed my pci gpib card to use in another machine - and attached a gpib-usb-b instead. The NI getting started wizard doesn't seem to recognize it. I am using win XP - and it does detect the new hardware - and asks for the driver CD. I also have two DAQ NI cards in there - and didn't know if reinstalling the driver would affect any of those. Thanks for any help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,555 Views)
I believe the "Add GPIB Hardware" wizard installs drivers only for the devices you specify, so I'm guessing you installed the driver for the PCI GPIB card but not for the GPIB-USB-B device. You should be able to run this wizard (Start >> Programs >> National Instruments >> NI-488.2 >> Add GPIB Hardware) to install the GPIB-USB-B's driver without impacting your DAQ device drivers. Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,555 Views)
Joan,

It sounds like your problem is that you do not have a version of NI-488.2 (the GPIB driver) that supports your USB-B. If Windows is asking you for a CD then it has not found the driver that you have installed. I believe this would happen if you have v1.7 installed which ships on a lot of the driver CD's. The latest version that supports the GPIB-USB-B's is v2.2 which you can find here.

Scott B.
GPIB SW
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,555 Views)
Thanks. That worked fine.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,555 Views)
Thank you for answering. I have Ver 1.2 - and running the hardware wizard seemed to work - although it did need the CD.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,555 Views)
Glad to hear it! Glad to be of help!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,555 Views)