Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a driver when using a GPIB card to the Agilent 4396B Analyzer

I am currently working on a project using the Agilent 4396B Impedance Analyzer and I wish to automate the process. I have connected the analyzer to a National instruments GPIB card but when using the associated software the Analyzer cannot be found. Is there a driver that I need as was the case for the Agilent 4396A and if so where can I find it. If not could you please advise me on how to get started with this automation process.

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,577 Views)
What "associated software" are you talking about? Is it MAX or something from Agilent? MAX is Measurment & Automation Explorer and once installed and configured, yoou should be able to expand Devices and Interfaces and then right click onj the GPIB card listed and select Scan for Instruments. Does the instrument show up then? What software are you planning to use for automation?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,577 Views)
Hi,
You don't mention the programming language that you wishing to us use for your automation project, and what is the associated software that you are trying to use? Is this some agilent program shipped with the analyser? Itmay be something as simple as the GPIB addressing, but can't really comment without knowing.
In general the driver for an instrument simplifies the communication between a programming language and the instrument. If it's a GPIB instrument you can talk to it using the basic GPIB functions supported by your GPIB card, buthaving a driver usually handles a lot of this lower level communication for you giving you a (fairly) easy to use interface. There is such a driver for labview available on the NI instrument driver network, http://zone.ni.com/id
net97.nsf/9b2b33e1993d877786256436006ec498/7da19421f37a7327862568ab005fb937?OpenDocument (hopefully the link works...) This is a labview driver,and won't do you a lot of good if you don't have labview...
If using CVI, then it looks like you could be out of luck, and may have to develop your own driver
Regards
John
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,577 Views)
I'm using MAX but when I scan for instruments I get the message "Instruments not found". I intend on using Labview for the automation process. I have tried Agilent for drivers but I cant find any on the website. I have also tried uninstalling MAX but to no avail.
Brian
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,577 Views)
If you uninstall MAX and the GPIB drivers, then you won't get anything to work. First, what NI card are you using? What version of MAX/VISA/NI-GPIB (from MAX, expand Software if you're not sure)? What OS? Did you run the NI-488.2 Troubleshooting Wizard (right click on the GPIB listing under Devices and Interfaces)? Is the instrument actualy configured for GPIB and not some other communication protocol? Have you tried a different GPIB cable?

There is a LabVIEW driver available for the instrument that you can download here but until the instrument is recognized as being on the bus, it won't help.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,577 Views)