Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DigitalPersona fingerprint reader driver problem using Driver Wizard

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install the DigitalPersona fingerprint driver using Driver Wizard, the problem is, the fingerprint reader works fine before installing with Driver Wizard(means you can still tab your finger on the reader and it responds well)
2012-03-29 11.06.27.jpg
But after Driver Wizard completed the installation, the fingerprint reader is not functioned anymore(you tab finger on it, and no response).

2012-03-29 11.06.12.jpg
I've been checked and redo the USB Instrument Control Tutorial(http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4478) for more then 10 times and still got the same problem, any help or advise, thanks =Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(9,657 Views)
Why are you using the wizard? You remove the driver that comes with the device and then you wonder why it stops working. To use the wizard, you need the low level commands from the vendor. Do you have them and are you sending them? Before you disabled the original driver, how was it enumerated in windows? HID?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(9,653 Views)

Dennis_Knutson 已寫:
Why are you using the wizard? You remove the driver that comes with the device and then you wonder why it stops working. To use the wizard, you need the low level commands from the vendor. Do you have them and are you sending them? Before you disabled the original driver, how was it enumerated in windows? HID?

Hi Dennis:
what do you mean "low level commands from the vendor" ? Isn't it enough to make it work by following up all the steps in Driver Wizard ?
Are you talking about the vendor number and product number ? 
When i install the original driver, in Device Panel it shows:
Biometric Devices

-   U.are.U 4500 Fingerprint Reader 

and then after i installed from Driver Wizard, it shows:
NI-VISA USB Devices

-   U.are.U 4500 Fingerprint Reader

Sorry I'm so new to labVIEW please give me more hints or any direction to the solution, thank you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(9,649 Views)

Of course it is not enough to just follow the steps in the wizard. That would just be the very first and easiest part. You don't seem to understand that you would then need to read and write to the device in order to make it function. By using the wizard, you removed the original windows driver that made it work. The low level commands from the vendor tell you how and what to read/write. If you don't have that information, you are wasting your time. I asked you why you used the wizard in the first place.

I asked how it originally appeared in windows. If you can restore things to how they were before you started messing around with VISA, look in windows device manager and see what driver it is using a what USB class. HID (Human Interface Class) is what mic, keyboards, etc. use and it is possible that your's used the same interface. You would then use the Call Library Function Node to interface to HID.dll. This interface is described by Microsoft though you would still need help from the vendor.

Message 4 of 14
(9,639 Views)

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the explaination, 
I found out the usb info on the device management, it's a composite device, and i have the API of the fingerprint reader, what i wonder is, i can detact the device in VISA interactive Control, but just didn't show the "blue light" as the original installation.

Is it possible that i need to type in the command set to connect to my device when using VISA component in programming stage? Thanks.

Dennis_Knutson 已寫:

Of course it is not enough to just follow the steps in the wizard. That would just be the very first and easiest part. You don't seem to understand that you would then need to read and write to the device in order to make it function. By using the wizard, you removed the original windows driver that made it work. The low level commands from the vendor tell you how and what to read/write. If you don't have that information, you are wasting your time. I asked you why you used the wizard in the first place.

I asked how it originally appeared in windows. If you can restore things to how they were before you started messing around with VISA, look in windows device manager and see what driver it is using a what USB class. HID (Human Interface Class) is what mic, keyboards, etc. use and it is possible that your's used the same interface. You would then use the Call Library Function Node to interface to HID.dll. This interface is described by Microsoft though you would still need help from the vendor.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(9,626 Views)

For emample: bmRequesttype, bBequest, wLength, wValue, windex (those parameters are listed in "Measurement & Automation"->" my usb"->"Input/Output"->"usb Control")

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(9,622 Views)
If you have an api, you should use that instead of creating a new one with VISA. I asked you a couple of times why you used the wizard. Since you are unwilling to answer, I will consider my involvement over.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(9,617 Views)

Hi Dennis,

sry I thought it should work only by following the driver installation from Driver Wizard(that's why i didn't answer your question, again, i'm new to all these drivers, labview, commend set things etc...), but since you mentioned about it also work with the api, i will try it later, and thanks taking your time for giving all these helpful informationSmiley Happy.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(9,615 Views)

Does anybody has an example (vi) to work with this hardware (DIGITALPERSONA), because i´m trying a lot but there is not result

I have dll´s but not header file *.H

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(9,565 Views)

@Burgue

Did you get the VI ? I'm also interested on it.

Thx

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(8,313 Views)