Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Manager lists AT-GPIB/TNT instead of AT-GPIB

I installed the AT-GPIB using the Atwin271 file, and then followed up with the Compatibility Release. The hardware and software diagnostics both succeed, and MAX is able to talk to the device.

In the Device Manager, though, it lists the AT-GPIB/TNT as the device in use, and it has an exclamation point indicating an error/issue with the driver. As well, the resources also list AT-GPIB/TNT and have an exclamation over the listing icon.

When I "add new hardware" and choose the GPIB device, the AT-GPIB is not listed there. AT-GPIB/TNT is, and the rest of the devices include various other GPIB products that are not similar (including STD-GPIB, etc...).

Should the AT-GPIB be listed, or is this the reason the Compati
bility Release was used? ie: one possible understanding I can come up with is that the drivers I installed for the card are in fact for the AT-GPIB/TNT, and then the addition of the Compat. Release is used to allow the drivers for the /TNT to work with the plain AT-GPIB.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,933 Views)
Hey Martin,

You never mentioned what operating system you are using. If you are using a 32-bit Windows OS like 98/ME or 95 and NT, then you should use NI-488.2 version 1.7.

If you are using Windows 3.1 or DOS (only) then use 2.7.1 or 2.7.2 respectively. There is a seperate driver for AT-GPIB/TNT and non TNT and it sounds like you might have downloaded the incorrect one.

If your system requires 2.7.1 then go back and make sure you installed the correct driver.

http://www.ni.com/support/gpib/versions.htm

Make sure you check the note at the bottom about the differences between 488.1 and 488.2 devices and drivers.

I hope this helps out.

JoshuaP
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,930 Views)
Yeah, sorry about that. I am running Windows 98 on the computer. At the versions.htm page, I clicked on the link for AT-GPIB and Win98, which took me to the Compatibility Release page.

I downloaded the drivers from there, as well as the Compat. Release. If I have the wrong drivers, could there be a wrong link on the website?

At http://www.ni.com/support/gpib/win98_95cr.htm (which is the link in the Win98 column at the versions page from previous post), the suggested drivers for the AT-GPIB are 2.71.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,930 Views)
From your follow-up, you have seen the http://www.ni.com/support/gpib/ win98_95cr.htm page. On that pages is a manual link: "Using Your NI-488.2 Software for DOS or Windows 3 with Windows 98/95 Manual." Follow the directions within this manual for information.

Your driver is correct. The AT-GPIB will not show up in the device manager. If you added it to the device manager (as an AT-GPIB/TNT), you may have multiple NI-488.2 drivers installed (one for 32-bit windows such as 1.7 or 2.2) and the one for Windows 3.x (2.7.1). I highly recommend uninstalling the 32-bit version if it is installed (should be able to do this through add/remove programs).

If you have specific problems following the instructions, post a follow up and we can try to help.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,930 Views)
When installing the GPIB on the Win98 machine, I followed the Manual on that page exactly. The Win98 Add/Remove Programs feature does not list the GPIB software for uninstalling, but I have found several links on the NI site which give manual uninstallation procedures. I will try uninstalling it and reinstalling again, without adding the 32-bit version to the Device Manager.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,932 Views)
I stand corrected. Version 1.7 is for Windows NT. The compatablity release is for 98. Sorry about that.

JoshuaP
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,930 Views)
Man, I must be going blind. I just reread your message. You stated that all diagnostics worked correctly. That is all you need. Since this is a 16-bit driver (with a 32-bit thunking layer), the hardware will not show up in the device manager. You do need to make sure you reserve the resources (described in the manual) so that a plug-and-play device doesn't try to use the same resources that you are using.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,930 Views)
Okay, I have done all that so I think I have it setup correctly.

Looks like it may be some other problem that I am having then.

Thanks for your help JoshuaP and GPIBGuru.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,932 Views)
>> Looks like it may be some other problem that I am having then.

Unless I misread, you stated that diagnostics worked correctly and you can talk to your device. What problem are you having?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,929 Views)
There is a problem between the device, GPIB and LabView, which I think is a LabView issue ("*IDN?" works from MAX, but not from a LabView Instrument I/O Assistant). I have a thread going there already. I originally thought it might have to do with the GPIB card, but I don't think it does.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,932 Views)