Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Communication

I am currently using GPIB to facilitate communication between an electronic load, and the computer. The load is a yokogawa. When I type in the appropriate command at 488.22 interface, The Yokogawa fashes an error sign. I have triple checked the code to make sure I have the proper syntax. the load still flashes an error sign.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,699 Views)
Does the Yokogawa also give an error code or tell you what kind of error it is detecting? Do any other GPIB queries work, like *idn?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,699 Views)
The error code is 02, which means incorrect parameters, and actually it does not respond to the *idn query either.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,699 Views)
What command are you sending to the instrument and what model is the instrument?

Is the instrument supposed to respond to *idn? If so, you should get that working before trying any other commands.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,699 Views)
Thank you for your response.....
Do you know how I can get the command *idn to work? I am actually very confused because I am attempting to launch the GPIB Analyzer and it tells me there is a connection error, which i cannot find.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,699 Views)
If you don't have analyzer hardware you cannot capture GPIB transactions. The PCI-GPIB is not an analyzer but the PCI-GPIB+ is. If you look in the Windows device manager it will tell you if you have a PCI-GPIB or PCI-GPIB+.

My suggestion for trying *idn? was to see if any GPIB communication is possible before trying any device-specific configuration. Is this a 488.2 compliant instrument? If so, then *idn? should work.

Can you see the device if you do a scan for instruments in MAX? You can do this by right clicking on the GPIB interface in MAX and selecting "Scan for Instruments".

If you don't see it after doing a scan for instruments, do you have another GPIB device you could try in place of the Yokogawa?

Also, veri
fy that the GPIB address of the Yokogawa is not the same as the GPIB controller. The GPIB address of the controller is probably 0. The GPIB address of the Yokogawa should be something other than 0.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,699 Views)
Thank you
My Yokogawa is now working, It turns out I was omitting a trigger command that is required. I really appreciate your assistence.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,699 Views)