Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detect NI-Serial PXI Slot (PXI-8432, PXI-8433, etc.)

When I connect multiple PXI-8432 and a PXI-8433 cards into a PXI chassis, the cards show up in MAX with serial ports assigned with "COMX" aliases, which is expected.  However, unlike other PXI cards, there is no obvious way to programmatically detect which slot the serial cards are in on the chassis.  Is there a way to do this in LabView, an external DLL, .NET, etc.?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,839 Views)

schm1347,

The KnowledgeBase article below identifies how to identify the slot to which a PXI card is connected to in the chassis. The knowledgebase gives you three methods, the third of which shows how to obtain this information from the windows registry, while the first two show how to acquire this information from either the NI-DAQmx or the NI-VISA drivers. 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2342900AED02975A86256BD800764C8B?OpenDocument

Raj
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,815 Views)

Raj_V -

I looked at the registry solution which looked promising at first.  I can find the serial cards in the registry.  From the registry I can determine the PCI bus and device.  From there I can link up to the pxisys.ini file to check the actual slot in the PXI chassis.  However, I can't find the serial number in the registry to differentiate between two PXI-8430/4 Isolated RS-232 cards.  I'm still missing a link between the registry and VISA...  Out of curiosity, what is NI's reasoning for not populating the NI-Serial devices nor the NI-RIO devices in the PXI System tree in MAX?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,796 Views)

schm1347,

I don't believe there's a way to identify the difference between two PXI-8430 cards connected to the same PXI chassis on different slots using the registry method. The serial number of the devices aren't stored in the registry so that option isn't available as you mentioned. 

I'm curious on what drivers you are using because I tried connecting a PXI-8432 and the device does show up in MAX under PXI interfaces.

Raj
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,774 Views)

Raj_V -

Attached is a view of my MAX configuration.  The NI-Serial cards do not show up under PXI devices.  Do I have some misconfigured?

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,685 Views)

schm1347,

what version of MAX are you currently running. I want to make sure that I have the same setup on my end to test this out.

Raj
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,651 Views)

I'm running version 4.5.0f0.  I appreciate your help into this...I apologize for my late response back.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,583 Views)

schm1347,

Sorry for the confusion. I had made a mistake in my previous post. The devices do show up on my system in the same way as yours under Devices and Interfaces, not under PXI interfaces. I don't believe there's a way to uniquely identify the difference between two different PXI-8430's connected to the same chassis in different slots programmatically.
Raj
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,546 Views)