Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell PC XE2 freezes when using GPIB drivers

I started using new Dell PC 'Optiplex XE2' (using Windows 7 64 Bit) with GPIB 488.2 devices and GPIB drivers V3.1.2. It communicates OK for a few hours and then the PC freezes. Reproducible every time after a reboot. Tried the latest GPIB drivers (V14.0), no improvement.

The PC has worked OK for many months, when I didn't use the GPIB device.

Same hardware (PCI GPIB card) and driver version work ok on other Dell PCs (e.g. Optiplex 9010).

Any know issues? Workarounds?

Thanks in advance

Ajit

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,034 Views)

@AjitKale wrote:

I started using new Dell PC 'Optiplex XE2' (using Windows 7 64 Bit) with GPIB 488.2 devices and GPIB drivers V3.1.2. It communicates OK for a few hours and then the PC freezes. Reproducible every time after a reboot. Tried the latest GPIB drivers (V14.0), no improvement.

The PC has worked OK for many months, when I didn't use the GPIB device.

Same hardware (PCI GPIB card) and driver version work ok on other Dell PCs (e.g. Optiplex 9010).

Any know issues? Workarounds?

Thanks in advance

Ajit

Same test program on the other Dell PCs?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,033 Views)

Thanks for immediate reply.

Yes, same test program.

Even, I don't need to run the test program. I will just open the NI MAX - Measurement & Automation Explorer. It first strugles to load the 'Devices and Interfaces' branch (will take long time compared to other PCs). Leave this program running and the PC will freeze.

Cheers - Ajit

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,029 Views)

Did you try this exact card on other PCs or just another of the same model?  Try a different card and see what happens.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,025 Views)

Tried at least 3 different cards, different models, it does the same. Working PC will never show the problem with these cards and XE2 will show the same problem.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,022 Views)

My next thought would be a bios issue with your motherboard.  Have you contacted NI Support yet?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,019 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

My next thought would be a bios issue with your motherboard. 

+1

The newest BIOS was just released on May 8, 2014.

I would also update the chipset. Latest version is July 16, 2014.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,013 Views)