From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data aquisition using 82357B GPIB-USB interface for 4395A Impedance Analyzer:

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear all,

I tried to communicate 4395A impedance analyzer with the 82357B GPIB-USB interface using keysight command expert  and Labview Add-On Tutorial. I could not able to find the SCPI  (Standard Commands for Programmable Instruments) commands for 4395A impedance analyzer in the keysight command expert. Please help me out regarding what are the other possibilities to aquire data from 4395A impedance analyzer using 82357B GPIB-USB interface?. Is it possible to get LABVIEW plug&play drivers for 82357B GPIB-USB interface?. Our main aim is to control the impedance measurement parameters and plot  F vs IZI and F vs theta as well as to get equivalent circuit parameters on a PC with LABVIEW GUI.

Looking forward to kind help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,713 Views)

82357B is an Keysight product as is the Keysight Command Expert . Contact Keysight.

Have no clue what the LabVIE Add-On Tutorial could possibily be.

If you had planned on using LabVIEW, I don't understand why you bought the 82357B and not the equivalent NI product.

Very poor decision.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,707 Views)

Please suggest me weather the NI GPIB-USB-HS (https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/model/gpib-usb-hs.html) is suitable for 4395A impedance analyzer. If it is suitable for my application and has the possibility to remotely control the 4395A impedance analyzer then i will buy it and replace the 82357B USB-GPIB interface.

Kindly provide also some .vi examples on how to use this NI GPIB-USB interface for data aquisition.

Thanking you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,700 Views)

@kolkoori wrote:

Please suggest me weather the NI GPIB-USB-HS (https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/model/gpib-usb-hs.html) is suitable for 4395A impedance analyzer. If it is suitable for my application and has the possibility to remotely control the 4395A impedance analyzer then i will buy it and replace the 82357B USB-GPIB interface.

Kindly provide also some .vi examples on how to use this NI GPIB-USB interface for data aquisition.

Thanking you.

Why would it not be suitable?

As for VI examples, check to see if there is a driver available for the Keysight 4395A.

I would also suggesting taking tutorials.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,694 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kolkoori

Hi!

I agree with "Intens". For information on how to program a 3rd party device please contact the manufacturer since they have the deeper knowledge. Unless there is already a LabVIEW driver for that device you would have to implement that yourself and would need those information from the manufacturer.

Regarding your question if the GPIB-USB is suitable it is pretty easy to answer: If you want to communicate with a GPIB device the NI GPIB-USB can do that. But you would probably need a driver to use the GPIB bus for meaningful communication.

Best regards,

Christoph

Staff Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,639 Views)

Hi Smiley Happy

Me too, I would like to buy a cable "82357B USB/GPIB" to connect my laptop to the spectrum analyser "4395A" Hewlett, I don't understand why we need to have "SCPI" to control the spectrum analyser because we can download the drive from the national instrument (see the pictures below)

Capture2.PNG

after that we have the library and we can make a code to communicate with the spectrum analyser. So we don't need to know the "SCPI" command to communicate with the spectrum analyser no ?(see pictures below of the libraries and an example of code from national instrument)

Capture2.PNGCapture2.PNG

Or maybe there is something i don't understand ? What do you think ?
Thank you in advance for your advice

Olivier HUBERT
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,460 Views)

SCPI is the language that the instrument understands - Standard Commands for Programable Instruments.  See - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Commands_for_Programmable_Instruments

The Drivers for most instruments are built by sending SCPI commands and interpreting the responses and formatting the data so that the average user never has to worry about the details.  But if there is no pre-built LabVIEW driver then the usual way forward is to get out the manual and learn the appropriate SCPI commands.

Almost every driver leaves out a few obscure SCPI commands.  So if you ever find yourself in the situation where you think you're instrument should be able to do something according to the specs, or you can do something from the front panel, but can't find the subVI to do it in the driver then you need to dust off the manual and look for the right SCPI command.  It can be hard, but instrument vendors are getting better - especially Keysight with their command expert and I/O suite.

Hope that helps.

Craig

Message 7 of 12
(4,456 Views)

Alright thanks you for your help Smiley Happy

The cable  "82357B USB/GPIB"  should fit for Labview because when you look at the specs in the data sheet of the cable it is written that it is supported by Labview (see picture below) no?

Capture.PNG

I would like to be sure before to buy the cable it is the good one, and I don't understand why this cable would not work, even if it is not  an NI product.

Do you think I should download an other drive from "Keysight" or "Agilent" ?

For more information attached you can find the datasheet of the cable.

Thank you in advance !

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,446 Views)

Duplicate...trouble posting.  See below.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,440 Views)

Right, it "should" work. Keysight makes quality hardware geared to their brand of instrument control software.

NI makes their GPIB-USB-HS, https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/model/gpib-usb-hs.html and it works very well with the NI-VISA drivers and LabVIEW.  To use another manufacturer's USB-GPIB interfaces you usually need to install the other manufacturer's VISA driver as well.  

Sometimes that's fine, sometimes you run into problems.  Years ago we tried other USB-GPIB flavours because they were less expensive.  We wasted days of time sorting out issues and realized the $100-200 we saved on the initial purchase cost us 200x more in troubleshooting time.  Recent experience with a client and an 82357B was fine but you'll get no 100% guarantees.

Message 10 of 12
(4,439 Views)