From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data acquisition automation with NI-488.2 GPIB

Equipment: HP 4192A LF Impedance Analyzer
Mode of data acquisition: Impedance data to be acquired using frequency sweep
Software platform: VBA for Microsoft Excel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,196 Views)
Hello ongchinwee -

Can you please be more specific in your question? Are you looking for a way to do automated data acquisition with NI-488.2 GPIB using that equipment? Are you looking for a program that someone has already written to do this?

Becky B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Becky Linton
National Instruments
Field Engineer
Office: 734-464-2463
Cell: 248-709-2822
Email: becky.linton@ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,195 Views)
Hi Becky,

Yes, I'm looking for a way to perform data acqusition using HP LF impedance analyzer (4192A) via the NI-488.2 GPIB. I am performing a frequency sweep and I need to measure impedance as a function of frequency.

I need to know how to do that via MS Excel VBA.

If you happen to know of a program that someone has already developed, could you please let me know?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,195 Views)
Hi Becky,

To add on, I have already been able to control my instrument (HP LF impedance analyzer 4192A) via VBA. I am at a stage where I can send query (via GPIB) to my instrument to perform a specific task (frequency sweep).

However, being a real novice in VBA (as well as GPIB programming language), I still could not figure out a way on how to acquire data (impedance) from the frequency sweep on my impedance analyzer.

Regards.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,195 Views)
Have you visited the Code Library in the NI Developer Zone? I performed a search for "MS Excel VBA acquire data impedence" and a number of example programs came up.

Perhaps another customer has designed a similar program and can post it here to help you.

Good luck with your project and have a great day!

Becky B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Becky Linton
National Instruments
Field Engineer
Office: 734-464-2463
Cell: 248-709-2822
Email: becky.linton@ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,195 Views)
Hi Becky
i was wondering, if you still get any requests for HP impedence analyzer data logging VIs.
Because the drivers for the same are not available on NI Developer Zone.
I wrote a small program and i was wondering if that could be any help to anyone. I searched a lot for this program but it was not available so end up writing my own program.
I would appreciate your help.
Anant
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,147 Views)
Anant,

Becky is no longer in this department. That post was almost a year ago. I'm sure there are people who could benefit from your program. You could just create another post with a descriptive subject so someone who is looking for that can search for it and find it easily. I would post your code there. I am not aware of anyone as of right now who is looking for that example, but at any rate, I would go ahead and post it. Thanks for your help!

JenK
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,126 Views)