From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMM for low R measurement

Solved!
Go to solution

Does anyone know a DMM (preferably PXI) to measure resistances in the order of 90mΩ ?

I'm currently using the NI PXI-4071 but its minimal range of 100Ω produces sometimes inaccurate results.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,690 Views)

I'm more familiar with benchtop instruments than PXI, but in the context of benchtops, the first thing I'd consider would be 7 1/2 digit multimeters, for instance a Keithley 2001 or 2010, or similar units from e.g. Keysight. Lowest resistance range is 10-20 Ohms, with accuracy (in 4-wire mode) below 1 mOhm.

If that's not good enough for your application, and if your budget allows, consider an ac resistance bridge. A Lakeshore 372 has full-scale resistance ranges down to 2 mOhm, and with care the noise level can be in the hundreds or even tens of nanoOhms range for milliOhm signals. If you can find a Linear Resarch LR-700 on the used market, that will have comparable performance. 

Message 2 of 14
(6,572 Views)

Hey JB,

could you provide use more information why the NI PXI-4071 dosn't seems to be accurate enough?

According to the manual, the PXI-4071 provides a 100 Ohm range with 10 uOhm resolution. Which resoulution do you need for your application?

Regards, Stephan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,535 Views)

Thank you for these interesting instruments.

A PXI solution would be my first choice because it would require less changes. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,506 Views)

The resolution is not the problem.

The DMM is used to measure the resistances of the three coils of a motor. A matrix is used to make the connections. Sometimes, the measurement is inaccurate (eg 87mΩ instead of 90).

• Because of the quite high minimal range of the DMM (100Ω vs 90mΩ coil resistance), a 7½ digits measurement is essential. Whith this configuration, the DMM needs about 1.1 second for one 4W R measurement. This long time doesn't allow to average several measurements because this would slow down the cadence of the assembly line. 
  • The measurement current of the PXI-4071 is only 1mA.

Therefore I'm looking for a faster DMM with a higher current and more suitable for low resistances.

Obviously, my preference would be to keep the PXI-4071 and I'm very interested in any recommendations which would help to improve the measurement.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,502 Views)
Solution
Accepted by JB

JB,

I don't use any PXI but would suggest you look at the Programmable Supplies/SMU's for PXI.  Should allow you to precisely source current and measure the resulting voltage drop.  Some of these instruments have a built in configuration to do resistance readings.

Message 6 of 14
(6,476 Views)

Wayne.C wrote:

I don't use any PXI but would suggest you look at the Programmable Supplies/SMU's for PXI.  Should allow you to precisely source current and measure the resulting voltage drop.  Some of these instruments have a built in configuration to do resistance readings.

If we are dealing with mOhms, this is actually a very good way to go.  To take it a step farther, I have used an SMU to source a current and then use a DMM to measure the voltage across the pins of the UUT.  It is like doing your own 4 wire resistance measurement, but having full control of the current you source.  R = V/I.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 7 of 14
(6,468 Views)

Thank you very much for your advice.

Do you have any experience with this setup combining a SMU and a DMM ?

Unless I'm wrong, a PXI-4130 would be able to measure the current and the voltage; making the DMM optional.

I guess the measurement (PXI-4130=voltage+current or DMM=voltage and PXI-4110 or 4130=current) would be much faster than a 4W R measurement with the DMM.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(6,459 Views)

I have done that with a Keithley source meter.  I found the DMM was able to measure the voltage better than the sourcemeter.  Probably since the sourcemeter had to switch the MUX to measure the current and then the voltage.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 9 of 14
(6,443 Views)

Too late to edit my previous message.

After reading its datasheet, it appears that the 0.1mV resolution of the PXI-4130 is insufficient to get an accurate measurement for a 90mΩ resistance. Therefore it is much better to keep the DMM to measure the voltage.

I guess that this R=U/I measurement (U by DMM and I by SMU) is much faster than a R measurement with the DMM. Is this correct ?

Could anyone provide a approximate duration ?

~1.1s for the 4W R measurement with the DMM (7½ digits, offset compensation)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(6,437 Views)