Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion problem from 6.1 to 6i

A friend wrote a program for me to communicate with a serial device. He made the VI in 6.1 and saved it as a 6.0 file so that I can use it. But it doesn't work correctly. The VI works fine on computers with 6.1 not on any with 6i. The heart of the program is just the standard "VISA read" VI. On my computer, either I get no data from the serial port, or else the numbers seem to come out wrong (I am receiving Hex data)

Additionally, I tryed to create the program from scratch in 6i, but I get a compiler error when using the "string to byte array" conversion.

Any ideas? Thanks

Kieran
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,931 Views)
Hi Kieran,

I can't think of anything that would create incompatibilities between these versions of labVIEW.

The first thing to check is if you are able to get any data correctly. Use Hyperterminal to receive data from the device. This will allow you to double check the serial connection without using LabVIEW. Next, do a loopback test with LabVIEW to verify if you are able to receive any data with LabVIEW. Check this tutorial for more information: How to Do a Loopback Test.

What version of VISA are you using?
Could you attach the VI you are running?

DiegoF
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,931 Views)
Thanks for the response. I ended up updating my version of 6i and rebuilding the entire VI from scratch. It all seems to work great now. I think that my version of 6i must have been buggy with my OS.

Kieran
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,931 Views)