From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control two devices with RS232 splitter

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear all. I made a VI that control (a part from many other things)  a PI stage and a Thorlab shutter. The problem is that both need an RS232 connection and my computer has only one port. 

I bought an RS232 Splitter and now both are connected but once the first enstablish a connection the second doesn't. Do you have any idea of what I am doing wrong? Is anyone already done something similar? The two devices have different baudrate but the problem is that running the "initialization" VI for both, if I establish a connection with the first (using the correct parameter), the second won't work (even if the parameter are correct). I think that the problem is on some sort of conflict in the port but I don't know how to solve it.

Thanks

Peppe 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,584 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author peppecantarella
Don't use a splitter. That makes no sense. You should have multiple USB ports that you connect dedicated converters to.
Message 2 of 5
(4,582 Views)

Thanks for your answer, I'll try this solution and I'll let you know. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,578 Views)

"Don't use a splitter. That makes no sense. You should have multiple USB ports that you connect dedicated converters to."

Or one USB port feeding a 2 or 4 port RS232 converter. 

(same end result, but somewhat cheaper and cuts down a bit on cable/device clutter)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,566 Views)

It does work! thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,478 Views)