Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control two devices with RS232 splitter

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear all. I made a VI that control (a part from many other things)  a PI stage and a Thorlab shutter. The problem is that both need an RS232 connection and my computer has only one port. 

I bought an RS232 Splitter and now both are connected but once the first enstablish a connection the second doesn't. Do you have any idea of what I am doing wrong? Is anyone already done something similar? The two devices have different baudrate but the problem is that running the "initialization" VI for both, if I establish a connection with the first (using the correct parameter), the second won't work (even if the parameter are correct). I think that the problem is on some sort of conflict in the port but I don't know how to solve it.

Thanks

Peppe 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,561 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author peppecantarella
Don't use a splitter. That makes no sense. You should have multiple USB ports that you connect dedicated converters to.
Message 2 of 5
(4,559 Views)

Thanks for your answer, I'll try this solution and I'll let you know. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,555 Views)

"Don't use a splitter. That makes no sense. You should have multiple USB ports that you connect dedicated converters to."

Or one USB port feeding a 2 or 4 port RS232 converter. 

(same end result, but somewhat cheaper and cuts down a bit on cable/device clutter)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,543 Views)

It does work! thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,455 Views)