Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control a stepper motor

Hello
I want to control a stepper motor with NI-DAQ 7 . and also want to get 400 step/ rev. Is it possible? if it is possible then give me some example.

regards

shafiq
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,707 Views)

Yes it is possible, 400steps/sec no problem.

Your driver will probably need a direction input, for this a standard digital output line from a DAQ card will suffice.

And the other input your driver will probably need is a frequency source to control steps/sec, your DAQ will need a counter/timer channel.

Search LV Help/Find Examples for frequency or pulse to find example code to generate a pulse train. You can also search this forum for stepper for info.

I presume you do not have a driver for your stepper motor, no?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,692 Views)

Actually I have  Multifuntional DAQpad-6015 . Could you please know me, is it possible to control a stepper or servo motor with this device .? or any other hardware or software is needed for that. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,688 Views)

Looking at it's specs, it has 8 digital I/O and 2 counter timers. So it will suffice.

You need a critical piece of hardware, that would be a driver to power the stepper motor. You cannot hook up the stepper motor directly to the DAQ card.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,686 Views)

Yes it has  8 digital I/O and 2 counter timers.

So , Now I need extra hardware. pls tell me the part no. of the  critical piece of hardware . which will give power supply for the stepper motor.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,681 Views)

It sounds like this is your first experience with a stepper motor. There are hundred of drivers available off the shelf, I do not know your requirements to properly choose one. You may want to contact the manufacturer of your motor to see if they can suggest one that suits your motor, application, and your DAQ interface needs (TTL compatible to start)

I would also strongly suggest learning about motors and drives before you connect anything up. I think there are even tutorial on this site you can search for. Considerations of stall torque, max speed needed, number of phases, voltage, current, open or closed loop postion feedback (I assumed you were going open loop, if you need closed loop than I would suggest not using the DAQ card but rather an actual motion control board), minimum step size required (full or microstep capability).

Message 6 of 6
(3,673 Views)