Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control a generator with a control volage by serial port RS232

Hello everybody,

I would like to control a generator thanks to a control voltage. This last one would be sent to a switch wich turns on the generator.

To do that, I want to link the switch and the computer with a serial port RS232 by using NI-USN 232 cable.

I made some research on this subject and I am only a beginner on LabView but I would like to use one (or several) pin which will send 5V in voltage when I want.

Is that possible? Is there another way to make it?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,208 Views)
That makes no sense. With s serial port, you do not control a generator with a control voltage. You control the generator with specific commands that you send over the serial connection. A command might be something like SET AC VOLT, 2.5.

Please provide the make and model off the instrument. There may be an existing driver for it. You can look yourself by using Help>Find Instrument Driver.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,193 Views)

Thank you for your answer.

Maybe, I didn't explain myself correctly. 

For example, on the Raspberry Pi, you can control a card by sending 3,3V signal with RS232 port (I made it last year so it makes a sense).

What I want to do here is to control an electronic card that turns on my generator after. I don't have enough to buy a generator controlled unless you know one not very expensive.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,183 Views)
An RS-232 port is not a good choice for digital control signals. The voltages could be quite higher than 5 volts. If you want to experiment, you have the VISA property node to assert/deassert the control lines. An arduino with true ttl digital lines would be an inexpensive alternative.
Message 4 of 7
(5,171 Views)

Thank you for your help.

I will try and see if it works.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,161 Views)

If the control card is still to be developed, another option would be to use a RS232/TTL interface chip like these Maxim devices

Message 6 of 7
(5,080 Views)

The Maxim device is an interesting solution. Thank you.

But I think I found another solution : use an Arduino with Labview because it is compatible and I need several control voltages.

So it is not very expensive and easy to make.

I will tell you if it works.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,059 Views)