Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control 34401A Multimeter

Using the Agilent 34401 Driver with a older HP 34401A Multimeter

Executing the Read Single Measurment.vi

> 2 Error on the Multimeter:

1. RS-232 framing error and
  2. Query INTERRUPTED

A command was received which sends data to the output buffer, but the

output buffer contained data from a previous command (the previous

data is not overwritten). The output buffer is cleared when power has

been off, or after a *RST (reset) command has been executed

Executing the Configure Measurement.vi

Two Error Messages on the VI and the Query Interrupted Error on the Instrument:

1. Maybe the most important: 1074004007- The connected instrument does not support the selected measurement function. (I’ve selected DC Voltage!)
  2. Error -1074003950 occurred at Agilent 34401.lvlib:Extended User Data.vi

Possible reason(s):

Reference Not Found: (xBFFC0012) Cannot retrieve user data for the given resource name as there was not data associated with the resource name. Before you can read data, you need to write the user data using the Write Data action of this User Data VI.

Complete call chain:

Agilent 34401.lvlib:Extended User Data.vi

Agilent 34401.lvlib:Configure Measurement.vi

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 27
(4,379 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 27
(4,319 Views)

Yep, I've checked it.

I've contacted the instrument driver support. Maybe the firmware of my DMM is too old.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 27
(4,316 Views)

Hi,

I want to keep this thread going. There are still some questions that I can ask to make sure all the information to solve this issue is posted in the forum:

1. Which VISA driver are you using? Link to the current driver:http://www.ni.com/download/ni-visa-5.4/4230/en/
  2. Which OS are you using?
  3. Which Version of LabVIEW are you using?
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 27
(4,232 Views)

Danke Roland

Ni- VISA 14.0.1

Ni- VISA Runtime  14.0.1

Windows 8.1 64 bit

labview 2014 f1 32 bit

What about the VISA 5.4? I've installed the software from MyRIO and CompactRiO. And LabVIEW regulary checks for updates.

But I will try it.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 27
(4,224 Views)

Hi,

What exact rs232 converter are you using are you sure it is compatible with windows 8.

I found this post on the Microsoft Forum:

“the Aten UC232A uses a prolific chip and, if the chip version is not the PL2303HXD it will not be supported by Windows 8.

You must use win 7 or XP and download a small tool supplyed by prolific to check the chip version. this tool is supplyed when you download the win7/XP driver.”

- rui.orfao on Microsoft Forum, January 6, 2013

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/a-problem-with-aten-uc232a-seria...

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 27
(4,219 Views)

It states No PL2303 chip installed.

And referring to the Driver. I've downloaded it but most of the parts I couldn't installed (higher version installed already) and afterwords it still  doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 27
(4,210 Views)

Nevertheless Like I Stated using the VISA Interactive Control Basic commands like IDN? or Remote control worked. Doesn't this imply that the converter is working?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 27
(4,204 Views)
Are you first calling the initialize function? What about when you just run that and request the id query and a reset?
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 27
(4,194 Views)

Using the Simple Serial.VI (Example) the IDN Query works. The provided NI instrument driver doesn't.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 27
(4,170 Views)