Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control 34401A Multimeter

Using an USB RS232 Adapter from ATEN I would like to control the multimeter (HP now Keysight).

I've downloaded the instrument driver but the the example: read Single Measurement.vi doesn't work. (VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.)

I've tried using the MAX and the Visa Interactive Control. They return the same Error.

Any idea what's wrong?

I've checked the settings of the multimeter as well.

The only thing not configured in the VISA Program is the HP - IB ADDR.

Is this necessary?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27
(7,039 Views)

Make sure your serial settings are correct.  Make sure the serial port on the meter is enabled.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27
(7,026 Views)
no gpib address is only needed when you use gpib.
You probaly have the wrong rs232 cable.
greetings from the Netherlands
Message 3 of 27
(7,025 Views)

How can I verify that the serial port is enabled? I didn' not find any setting for this.

Albert do you recommend me the NI cable? Is there a cheaper solution?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(7,013 Views)
The serial port enable is a front panel setting of the instrument and is definitely explained in the manual.

There are two general types of serial cables - null modem and straight through. I believe you need a null modem cable which cross connects the tx and rx lines. Again, this is in your manual. NI does not sell these but you can quickly check the type you have with an ohmmeter.
Message 5 of 27
(7,005 Views)

Now the *IDN? command is working in the VISA Interactive Control. Crossover Cable was the solution thanks.

"serial port enable is a front panel setting of the instrument and is definitely explained in the manual."

I didn't find a front panel setting therefore. With the 34401A it seems to be just the SYSTem : REMote.

Trying to read measurement values produces now errors on the multimeter. =(

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(6,975 Views)

The VISA Control is working properly. Now it's up to finding the problem with the instrument driver.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(6,961 Views)
If you need help debugging your code, you need to provide details. This would include the error messages/codes that you are getting.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(6,950 Views)

Make sure that all your serial settings on the front panel of the example match the settings on the instrument (baud rate, parity, etc.)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(6,945 Views)

Hi

So by now you can send/receive data to the multimeter via the RS 323 Port using VISA?

What kind of errors do you experience on the multimeter?

If you want to analyze what VISA driver calls are being made there is a very useful piece of NI Software called NI I/O Trace:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/282C5D41E2BA04F2862574BA007803B9

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(6,938 Views)