Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect servercontroller SC-610 from Harmonic Drive via serial bus as GPIB

Hello I upgraded a computer system from Windows XP to Windows 7 and from LabVIEW 7.1 to LabVIEW 2014. With my VI I'm comunicating with a Harmonic Drive SC-610 servo controller (RS232 connection on my serial port COM3) which controlls a Harmonic drive motion drive. Also there is a Faulhaber Motion drive connected on another serial port (COM4).

In the old system both ports where usable as GPIB but not so in my new system. There I get the error message Error connecting with the GPIB device or driver when I want to start my VI. NI VISA and 488.2 are installed. Also MintMT, MintWorkBench and Faulhaber Motion Drive are installed.

Is there anything I need to consider when moving from LabVIEW 7.1 to LabVIEW 2014 to fix this problem? How can I install the GPIB?

Best Regards

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,811 Views)

Hello,

which versions of the drivers are you using?

It is important that you choose ones, that are supported for LabVIEW 2014 e.g.

LabVIEW and NI-488.2 Version Compatibility - National Instruments
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2BFCEE471BECB95F862574020059117E

(Be aware that the drivers should be installed after the LabVIEW development environment.)

I am a bit confused, do you want to control your devices using a serial port (then use the NI VISA functions) or via GPIB communication?

Cheers

Kathrin

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,739 Views)

Hello,

I recognized that there are no supported drivers on Windows 7 or with LabVIEW 2014 for AT-GPIB/TNT. But I installed the NI-488.2 Version 15.0bwhich is supported by LabVIEW 2014.

Thats the thing I didn't really understand either. It wasn't me who made the VI with its many Sub-VIs. I can't find out where the GPIB communictaion took place or where it is needed. In my opinion there is no necessary for GPIB communictaion but I can't find out where in the Vi it is used so I can handle it.

NI VISA functions should be enough. Is it possible to find out where it is used?

Greetings

Robin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,665 Views)