Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication with Keithley 2700 via GPIB

Hello!

I am trying to connect a Keithley 2700 device to a windows 7 PC via GPIB.  Specifically, I am using Keithley's KUSB-488B (USB to GPIB interface).

I want to be able to send signals via Python and so I have downloaded NI VISA.  However, Python's resource manager is not seeing the GPIB device.  Windows device manager shows the device. When I open NI MAX and the device is not listed.  

NI MAX.PNG

However, when I open VISA interactive control the device can be seen.VISA interactive control.PNG

I can successfully write to the device.

write.PNG

However, I can only occasionally successfully query it and can never successfully read it.   When I try to read it I get the following error: 

Read Operation
Error

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

Sometimes when I query it I get that same error and sometimes I get: 

query.PNG

I have installed all the drivers from the disc which came with the KUSB-448B. The device appears in the keithley GPIB configuration utility.  However, the device appears as "unknown instrument" instead of appearing with its full name and model as it should.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!  

All the best,

Sinead

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,475 Views)

Hi Sinead,

First of all, it looks like you've got most things set up correctly to use the Keithley 2700 as you're successfully able to write to the device through VISA. As the device is a non-NI and GPIB device, it won't appear in MAX as a device - so this is expected behaviour.

This said, the fact that the device doesn't appear correctly in Kerthley's own utility would seem to point towards an issue with the driver installation. As a first step, I would recommend taking a look at the support website to confirm you've got the correct driver - http://www.tek.com/support

Could you try this an then check to see if the device appears?

Also, are any of the steps provided in the 6th post down here - https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/keithley-2700-driver-problems/td-p/1474212 of any help?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,414 Views)

Hello!

Thank you for your advice.  I installed the latest drivers from the website and the device appeared in Keithley's utility.  However, I still couldn't communicate with it via python. 

I replaced the GPIB-USB with a GPIB-PCI and it is now functioning correctly.  I didn't get to the bottom of why it didn't work but I now have a functioning solution so I am happy.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,411 Views)

Great, I'm pleased to here you've got everything working. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,409 Views)

@Sinead_R wrote:

I replaced the GPIB-USB with a GPIB-PCI and it is now functioning correctly.  I didn't get to the bottom of why it didn't work but I now have a functioning solution so I am happy.

If you were using the Prologix GPIB-USB Controller and having issues, then follow the instructions here:  https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Program-Drafts/Prologix-GPIB-USB-Controller/ta-p/3539152

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,382 Views)

I've been recently experiencing a similar issue running an older labview (v8.2) program with a NI GPIB-USB-HS to control a Keithley 2700.

the program controls other instruments as well on a gpib bus. for unknown (to me) reasons, the program uses an ivi session and dll function calls for only the 2700, but direct gpib communication functions for all other instruments

-the program seems to work fine without any issues on older machines using pci gpib

-however, apparently no communication with the Keithley 2700 - good communication with other instruments- on a newer windows10 machine using the GPIB-USB-HS;

I can, however, see the instrument there and query/read from it within max

would anyone know of a solution for this?

best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,938 Views)