Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communicating with the serial port

Hi,
I have some experience with Labview, but I am new to the serial interface aspects. I am trying to communicate through labview with a serial device. I tried using the VISA examples that they give, but I get some weird errors. The only thing that I pick up when the read VI executes is the echo of my command from the write VI. I don't even know if my command is being sent out of the COM port. I tried using the lower level VI's (initialize serial port, write to serial port, etc.) without using VISA sessions, but I get an error saying that it cannot find the device. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ben Woodward, Kimball Physics Inc.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,847 Views)
I'm not sure what examples you were using to try to talk to your serial device. We do have some new examples for LabVIEW 6.1 and 7.0 that have been recently posted on the web. The link is pasted at the end of this message. If you scroll down to "Other", you'll see several examples whose names start with "Serial Communication". I would suggest trying the Basic Serial Write and Read example. The VI documentation should tell you everything you need.

If these examples do not work either, please provide some more detail on what is not working - the specific error message received, etc.

Link to Examples:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/devzone.nsf/webcategories/300E64783B55DA0F8625692000618A96?opendocument&node=DZ52363_US
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,847 Views)