Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coding low level for SCB-68

Solved!
Go to solution

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
Thanks. I knew that but I wasn't sure if there was anything else such as a c api.

Not sure why the OP didn't bother to read the specifications before deciding on this particular board.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(3,351 Views)

Because OP is stubborn. I'm sorry I'm being difficult, I'm not sure I understand exactly what I'm looking for either, I was told by my superior to look for "serial codes" that I could use to send info to the board and then out to a fan. Here's a quote from an email my partner just sent on exactly what we're doing: "OK, so the DAQs we're collecting temperature with are separate from our PWM control process. We're collecting temperature passively - it's just a process running in the background, and we get a data output from it. We're trying to control the fans and Peltiers with PWM through the  PICs 7841R board."

Right now we are using LabView, and I know the data sheet says that's the only software that will work, but is there another way to control the board? I just want to be sure that we must use LabView before I go back and tell them I can't do what he wants me to do.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(3,347 Views)
So, is it okay to compile the fpga with LabVIEW? If so, you could interface to the host VI.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(3,342 Views)

I think that would defeat the purpose. He wants me to interface without the use of LabView, and hopefully interface with MatLab. Is that possible?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(3,334 Views)
There is a difference between interfacing and low level coding. Do you in fact require that the fpga coding be done with matlab? Let's get the fundamentals established.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(3,325 Views)

Sorry I wasn't clear. No I do not need the coding done with MatLab. The end result is that I can interface via MatLab. I was told to get that done by making a program in Robot Raconteur (Python coding), which I started to do but ran into the problem of not knowing how I would actually talk to the board in Python syntax.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(3,322 Views)
Solution
Accepted by TimCast

Here's the thing with the R Series boards, they can only be programmed with LabVIEW FPGA.  You have to make the interfaces for the serial protocols and communications in LabVIEW FPGA and then load that FPGA build into the card.  So if you don't have the LabVIEW FPGA toolkit, you are currently dead in the water with that board.  Even then, there is a C API to talk to the FPGA that you programmed into the board, but it is kind of a long way around to get it to work.  You really should just stick with LabVIEW all the way if you are going to use that board.

An alternative, since you are just dealing wtih PWM, is to use a normal NI DAQ board (possibly the one you are getting the temperatures with) and use a Counter Output to put out the PWM signals.  There is a little better API that will supposedly work with Matlab.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 17 of 18
(3,318 Views)

@TimCast wrote:

Because OP is stubborn.

What does "stubborn" have to do with purchasing the correct board for your requirements especially when you have specific software that you want to use?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(3,305 Views)