Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coding low level for SCB-68

Solved!
Go to solution

I am looking to interface the SCB-68 with MatLab using Robot Racontuer. In order to do this I need to know the serial codes that I can put in my Python code to tell the SCB to turn on/off, send an output voltage or frequency, and other general input/outputs. I was looking through the user manuals and found a lot of hardware related things but not anything of how to code for it. Is there anyone who can help me?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(6,091 Views)

The SCB-68 is nothing but a connector block.  What DAQ device are you using with the connector block?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 18
(6,090 Views)

I will find out in a bit, communication with my group isn't immeadiate unfortunately. But I believe that what is happening is we are taking information from DAQs into a central PC, then we're sending information out through this connector block to send a signal to a fan. Am I incorrect in thinking that I can send signals to this connector block through some sort of low level serial codes?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(6,083 Views)
I'd say you are totally incorrect in your assumption. The scb-68 is an interface to an NI daq device and for that you would be using DAQmx. Not at all a low level serial code.
Message 4 of 18
(6,064 Views)

Alright I'm silly. This is very new to me so bear with me. I believe we using the NI PCIe-7841R, and it came with SCB-68 connector blocks and I mixed up the names. Is this something I can code to or is this still something else?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(6,059 Views)
Yes, you can code to it with the FPGA module. Will you be using LabVIEW?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(6,050 Views)

We will not be using LabView. My job is to find a way to use MatLab instead (My superior is more comfortable with MatLab). So I'm using some low level code through Robot Raconteur, which is why I need serial codes.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(6,036 Views)
There is no such thing as 'serial codes'. Explain what you mean.

I really don't know if you can program the fpga without LabVIEW for that matter. Someone with more experience can perhaps provide an answer.
Message 8 of 18
(6,028 Views)

The NI website is very clear on what software is compatible, and it is LabVIEW FPGA module.

http://sine.ni.com/ds/app/doc/p/id/ds-98/lang/en

Message 9 of 18
(6,023 Views)
Thanks. I knew that but I wasn't sure if there was anything else such as a c api.
Message 10 of 18
(6,021 Views)