From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot obtain output from my controller

I am using a Eurotherm 3504 controller to controll a valve based on input pressure.

See details:

PV – Pressure transmitter input (0-5 bar), 4-20mA (i/p to controller)

Module 1 – Remote setpoint (0-5 bar), 4-20mA (i/p to controller)

Module 2 – Analogue output of valve actuators position to control room (0-100%), 4-20mA (o/p from controller)

Module 3- Analogue output to valve actuators (0-100%), 4-20mA (o/p from controller).

---Proportional action with gain of 40%/bar

(I interprete this to mean ...a 1 bar change in pressure results in 40% valve movement when proportional acts on its own. This gives a gain of 2 and PB of 50% I believe).

---Integral action time – 300 secs

---No derivate

Problem: I do not get any response in the output. Modules 2&3 are both reading their lowest vales – 4mA as output, which corresponds to 0% open in the actuators.

I am using a set point of 2.5 bar (midway of the 0-5bar pressure transmitter scale). When I vary the i/p current I am using to simulate the PV, (4-20mA), I do not get get any output in the valves.

Have I got my interpretation of the PB wrong?

I wish I could post screen captures here.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,631 Views)
I don't know what those screen captures are supposed to represent. What software are you using? Anything related to NI?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,623 Views)

Sorry about that.

I am using a real controller (Eurotherm 3504). The plan is to test the controller using simulated 4-20mA pressure input and see the resulting output.

Later on, I will use labview to simulate different pressure inputs to feed into the controller. So my question is for the first part, i.e feeding the controller with simulated 4-20mA. So, you can say that my question is a simple control loop question.

I have used 50% as gain and I get no output. I thought that the higher the PB, the slower will be the response. I have tried reducing the PB to 2.5% and I still do not get any output response.

The screen shots represent the configuration for each contributors to the control loop, e.e PV, input and outputs.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,620 Views)

Hi Maxidivine,

Wouldn't it be wiser and more efficient to contact Eurotherm for a question that does not imply any NI software or NI hardware?

Thanks,

M-Junior

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,528 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have contacted them before posting here.

Basically, it is more of a control issue than a 'Eurotherm' issue.

I have been able to get the valves to work now, thanks to the explanation below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proportional Band: The amount of change in the controlled variable, expressed in engineering units, required to move the actuator from one end of its stroke to the other.

%PB: Percent proportional band is the proportional band expressed as a percentage of the sensor span.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I set the PB as 2.5% instead of 2.5 engineering units. I have corrected this and it works fine now.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,503 Views)