Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install PCMCIA-232/4

Hello;

I have and older machine and I am trying to get a PCMCIA-232/4 card to work and have tryed many things with no good results.

I am running Windows XP 32 bit, Labview 7.0, with MAX 4.5, NI-VISA 4.5, and NI-SERIAL 3.5.

The PCMCIA Card slot works on the machine and I know that because my DAQCard-AI-16XE-50 works fine.

NI-SERIAL 3.5. installes fine but it cannot verify the presence of the hardware.

When I look at windows device manager it says there is no driver installed for this device (Code 28).

What do I need to do to get a driver for this card.  I looked on the NI page and nothing comes up?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,550 Views)

The PCMCIA card was no longer supported with NI Serial 3.5.1.  From what I can gather, it looks like it might still be supported with NI Serial 3.5.  But that is one thing to check up on.  You can check which version you have installed in MAX.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,526 Views)

Hello Crossrulz;

It is 3.5.0 not 3.5.1, I just looked.  I recently bought the PCMCIA card and NI-SERIAL version 3.5 shipped with it.

Where did you find that 3.5.1 does not suppot the PCMCIA card?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,516 Views)

HydroMan wrote:

Follow the link I gave for 3.5.1 and expand the description.  In there is states that the PCMCIA cards were no longer supported.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,496 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

HydroMan wrote:

Follow the link I gave for 3.5.1 and expand the description.  In there is states that the PCMCIA cards were no longer supported.

Or the GSG Here:

An Austin we have a problem!  The Install guide lists 3.5 supports the PCIMIA device but the 3.5.0 Readme and Download page differ in the supported hardware sections.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,484 Views)

Hello HydroMan,

It seems that the NI-Serial driver version 3.5.0 supports the PCMCIA-232 interfaces, where as version 3.5.1 does not.  Please ensure that you have in fact installed NI-Serial 3.5.0.  Also, have you taken a look at the Installation Guide for your device? You can find more information here:

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371583h.pdf

I would specifically recommend taking a look at the PCMCIA Serial Installation section on the last page and trying to run the NI-Serial Troubleshooting Wizard.

I hope this helps!

Nadine H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,445 Views)

That didn't help. I checked and it is 3.5.0! Troubleshooting section is just standard BS.   Like I stated earler there is no driver for it!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,443 Views)

Hello HydroMan,

Could you provide me with a screenshot of the result of running the NI-Serial Troubleshooting Wizard?

Nadine H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,433 Views)

It says ...... no serial interfaces are configured on the system.   Same thing as I said in the beginning of the post.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,425 Views)
Since there is conflicting information on what is and what is not supported, I would just uninstall 3.5 and download an older version. The messages you've mentioned indicate a problem with the driver recognizing the hardware and its not as if there is anything in 3.5 that you need.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,420 Views)