Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you change the device type from "USB Raw Resource" to GPIB controller?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to configure a Contec GP-IB(USB)FL GPIB controller in MAX.  I was able to get it to register through creating a driver from the VISA driver wizard, but it is registering as a "USB Raw Resource" rather than as a GPIB controller.  I can send and recieve information from the controller but it does not give me an option to search for connected GPIB devices to communicate with them.  Is there any way to change the type of the device, maybe by manually altering the driver created by the NI-VISA driver wizard?  Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,654 Views)
Using the VISA Wizard was just a huge mistake. You'll have to first undo all that you did. I don't know why you would think that would work.

MAX is for NI devices. Use the vendor's configuration utility. Use the vendor's driver.
Message 2 of 4
(4,646 Views)

The vendor's drivers don't work, which is why I started exploring alternatives.  Their examples don't even work for their driver so this was a last ditch attempt before returning it.  It seems to be communicating packets back and forth just fine though, there's no way to change the type of a device manually in MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,642 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author stratzvyda
No. You can't use MAX at all. You cannot simply create a USB-GPIB controller on your own. You need to contact the vendor.
Message 4 of 4
(4,639 Views)