Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't communicate with Sorensen XG series through USB

Ok. i managed to get a hold of the manufacturer, and after some troubleshooting, we found that the when i was trying to communicate through the VISA test panel, the commands default termination character was wrong (needs to be xD, not xA), and that the buffers were still missing a terminator character.  After adding a '\r\n' behind the buffer.

so in viWrite i have *IDN?\r\n

and in viRead i will get 

Ametek, XG 300-2.8, SN# 1032A01906, 1.14 Build 27, 02/12/09\r

---------------

i notice that there is now a \r attached to the back of the date, however when i remove \r it still returns a timeout error

also, now I run into a problem where in my programming, i will most likely have to attach \r\d to everything.  is there a global setting where I can do this? or how do I go about solving this problem?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 27
(3,618 Views)

All that I use is the carriage return (\r or x0D for my xg600.

In LabVIEW, it's done with a VISA property node.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 27
(3,615 Views)

I tried it with only a \r and it gave me a timeout error.  Maybe we are doing something differently?  I will try to implement the property node though.

btw, thanks for all your help.  i'm new to labview so this is all pretty new/confusing still.  really appreciate it 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 27
(3,610 Views)

hi all, i have same problem here with XG 300 communication with USB. 

i can see the device in NI VISA Interactive Control, as shown attached.

when using the Ametek sample VI, it give me NO error. 

but nothing shows up in Ametek LED display!

i am a bit desperate and seeking help here. thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 27
(3,324 Views)

What did you do to the driver from Sorensen? It should not appear as USB RAW at all. You didn't try to do something as silly as use the VISA Driver Wizard? You should have a com port show up in MAX if you install the correct driver. It's readily available from FTDI if you lost the one that came with the instrument.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 27
(3,313 Views)

hey Dennis, 

thank you. it sounds as an useful info to me. i will try this as the first thing on Monday morning. 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 27
(3,301 Views)

Hi Dennis,

i have used VISA Driver Wizard to create and install a new driver, but it show NO difference in VISA Interactive window: it still appear as "USB0::0x0403::0x6001::NI-VISA-60002::RAW", USB RAW !?

and, still no any change in LabVIEW or device front LED......

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 27
(3,286 Views)

And, one more info, i did capture something in NI I/O Trace.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 27
(3,283 Views)
Why on earth would you use the VISA wizard? That is not at all correct. You need to use the driver for the FTDI chip as I said. You have to undo everything.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 27
(3,272 Views)

all right, Dennis, i guess i misunderstood you.

i have redo the driver installation using what i downloaded from Ametek webpage. Now it appears in Computer Device Manager as a "USB Serial Port". But it is still unknown to NI Labview: 

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

anything more i can do here to make it right?

thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 27
(3,269 Views)