Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can#T Evaluate LabView, get only errors

Hi,

just want to evaluate LabView, but get only errors.

Do installation, works, searched & installed drivers, Agilent 34401 or Agilent 33120A, the classics I think, abd open an example ==> error.

Whats wrong?

Can't buy a expensive software which doesnt work, sorry.

With best regards

Gerhard

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(5,890 Views)

Hi,

Looks like you did not installed VISA.

You can find it here.

Kees

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(5,886 Views)

Hi Kees,

I installed the LabView evaluation package. Whats VISA? I see 'Product Line GPIB', ok, had an GBIP interface, very old, but I want to connect my stuff via USB (serial), so is VISA the right stuff?

With best regards

Gerhard

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(5,883 Views)
Of course it's the correct driver. The error message says so. It is the hardware driver for gpib, usb, Ethernet, pci, pxi, vxi, etc.

Please note that serial and usb are not necessarily the same thing. If you connect directly to the instrument's usb port, you use the USBTMC driver. If you connect to the rs-232 port, that is the much slower and less reliable option.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(5,878 Views)

.. ok, thanks, so the discription is little bit missleading.

I know, thar serial over USB isn't a Ferarri, so just want to do some first steps to evaluate what the software can do for us ...

Thanks a lot, will try soon, just waiting for dowmload ..

With best regards

Gerhard

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(5,875 Views)

.. sorry, but installing VISA didn't change so much, see error message.

But now my GWINSTEK desktop power supply (GPD-3303S) appears in 'Connected Devices', so something has changed, but still no sample of 33401 0r 33120A working.

With best regards

Gerhard

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(5,869 Views)
You haven't selected a VISA Resource. Click on the pull down menu to select your device or com port. The serial port should be listed in MAX.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(5,862 Views)

Hi,

found the VISA Interactive Control and send IDN commands here the results:

Agilent 33120A works.

Agilent 54641D and Agilent 34401A fails. But, when I send a TST command, than the instruments starting their self tests.

Fazit: The RS232 interfaces were connected correctly (no Tx connected to Tx problems, wrong baud rate, parity ...) but I can't receive messages from the 34401A and 54641D for what reason ever. I start playing around trying different settings (1 or 2 stop bits, flow control variants, termination char ...) but can't find a solution. I also restart the PC.

Any ideas?

And LabView still not working, can't run any sample, so I can't try the 33120A sample, which potentially has a chance to run ...

With best regards

Gerhard

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(5,853 Views)
Are the instruments themselves set for serial communication? This must be done from the front panel. Is the \n (line feed) the correct termination character or should it be \r (carriage return)? I believe this is also a front panel setting. I don't remember what the driver uses. This is a hex value on the block diagram.

This fooling around with the serial port why direct usb, Ethernet, or gpib is so much simpler.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(5,845 Views)
And what problem do you still have with the LabVIEW examples?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(5,842 Views)