Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can NI-Trace be started with the window Minimized?

Solved!
Go to solution

We have an issue whereas GPIB devices won't run unless NI-Trace is running.   So we have NI-Trace in our start-up so it runs when we start our test station.  But this big Trace Window is disruptive to users, until they minimize the window.  Is there any way to have NI-Trace start up running, but also start with the window minimized?  (Yes I know there's the check box to have the Trace start upon running NI-Trace, but we'd like the window to be running in the background - (minimized) so as to allow our Test window to not be in conflict with the Trace window.)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,544 Views)

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately there is no way to do this natively in NI IO Trace so we will have to investigate ways of doing this in Windows. I believe that you can do this by right clicking on the NI IO Trace shortcut then under the "Run" section click the dropdown and select "minimized." Now I am not completely sure if this will cause IO Trace to open minimized upon startup or only when you click the shortcut.

You can also try using the Windows API like in this forum post to programmatically minimize IO Trace.

But ultimately it sounds like you have a strange problem with NI VISA. What happens when you don't have IO Trace running and you try to communicate via GPIB?

Brian H. -- Electronics & Measurements Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,516 Views)

When I run W/O Trace running, and then attempt to talk to any GPIB device, the device fails to be recognized,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,509 Views)

How are you talking to the GPIB device? What hardware and software are you using?

Brian H. -- Electronics & Measurements Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,493 Views)

The NI Slot 0 (VXI) CPU has a built in GPIB bus port.  And it is acting as the controller. 

The other 2 devices are typical GPIB type devices (a Power Supply, and a Signal Generator) connected to the CPU via normal IEEE-488 cables.. 

We are using Agilent VEE to talk to the devices.   Same code as we've used for the prior 4 workstations we built over the past few years.  Now with this latest round, suddenly the devices aren't recognized with the same VEE S/W that we've always had. 

The only thing with different these newer stations, is that the Slot 0 compuer is a newer purchase, although the Part No. is the same.  All S/W is identical to the earlier (working) stations.

And in an attempt to get these new stations to run (wihout requiring NI-Trace running) we tried updating drivers, rolling back drivers, re-installing VISA, re-installing all NI S/W, installing NI S/W from the older working stations, and NOTHING seems to makes this work (until we run NI-Trace). 

We finally delivered the stations with NI-Trace to come running as a default, when the user logs in, just to make the system work like the first ones delivered.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,487 Views)

"The NI Slot 0 (VXI) CPU has a built in GPIB bus port.  And it is acting as the controller."

One thing you could check is the bus timing on that controller. If that is a NI product you will find the timing details in MAX (Measurement and Automation Explorer). With older GPIB equipment and newer, faster OS this can cause problems. With NI trace on you might be slowing down the bus just enough to make it work. 

Hope this helps.

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,482 Views)

Thanks GovBob,

We had suspected that may be a possibility, but no one seemed to have any knowledge as to how to check the bus speed/timing.

Any specifics what details to look for in NI-MAX?  Or how to alter the timing/speed if we think that is the case?

Thanks.

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,476 Views)

Tom,

The caveat is this has to be a NI controller.

Open MAX and on the left tree My System>>Devices and Interfaces>>GPIB0 (0 is most likely the address unless you changed it. You will see in the middle window all the settings and if you scroll down to advanced settings you will see Bus timing. I'd just note what you have it set at now and and try different settings to see if you can get it to work.

You can also look at the versions of NI software you are using if you expand the software tree. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,471 Views)
Duplicate thread of http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/GPIB-device-doesn-t-get-recognized-except-whe... with the additional information that MAX does in fact identify the instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,464 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TomSobey

Well that does change things as it is most likely a VEE executable? problem. Just spitballing here but I'm guessing its a NI VISA vs Agilent VISA thing. Since I've never used VEE I'm guessing they are using the Agilent I/O Libraries. It sounds like you can access the Agilent VISA as secondary according to p35 here and here.

Like I said this is just a guess as I'm not familiar with VEE. I'd confirm on the Keysight forums. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,455 Views)